Chapter 3

[Daniel]

I'd seen him swanning around the office every day for the last week. From what I can see he works hard, but he's making it hard for me to keep my concentration.

Since Kai started, I've been having as many coffees as Rosie just so I can see Kai in the kitchen. I don't know if he knows who I am, if he realised, would it scare him away or bring him in.

I walked into the kitchen for the 3rd time that afternoon noticing Kai stood there, I'm glad Rosie brought him those suits. They hugged his toned body in all the right places.

I walked over to the counter and started putting coffee in my cup. "Happy Friday," I began "excited for the weekend?" I finished with a smile.

He smiled back at me "Happy Friday, I wouldn't say I'm excited, I've really enjoyed this first week" he laughed. I chuckled too "Revel in the enjoyment, who knows how long it will last."

He laughed "This is like a dream really," he said looking off into space. "A bizarre dream, somebody just needs to pinch me" he trailed.

I leant over and pinched him lightly on the arm smiling as he brought his thoughts back. He looked at me with confusion "what did you do that for?" He asked.

I let out a small laugh "because you told me to" I replied. He beamed at me, lighting up the room.

"Wait, I don't think I ever caught your name," he said looking at me as he stirred Rosie's coffee. I shook my head with a smile "it's a secret" I offered.

If he found out who I was, he might see me differently and start acting too formal around me. I was enjoying our kitchen rendezvous'.

He let a small laugh escape his lips "Seriously though, what's your name?" He said, looking intrigued.

I put my index finger to my lips and said nothing more as I finished making my coffee.

Kai wrinkled his eyebrows and laughed with a shrug as he added milk to Rosie's Coffee.

I waved goodbye to Kai and walked away feeling my heart pound in my chest, he was so cute when he smiled or laughed. I savoured the image in my mind.

I sat down at my desk and buried my head in my hands. How does he make me feel like this? I sat there a moment and sighed, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in" I yelled, raising my head slightly to see Rosie stride into my office. I lay my head on my hand and looked at her pleadingly.

She wrinkled her brows at me "What's up with you Mr I have no feelings?" She enquired. I laughed a little "Fuck off, I do have feelings. In fact, that's the problem." I replied.

She rushed to take a seat in the chair opposite me excitement in her eyes and placed her chin in her hands like a child waiting for storytime. "Well?" She said impatiently.

I looked her dead in the eyes and whispered: "I think I have a crush, Rosie". Her mouth fell open "On who?" She asked insistently.

I shook my head sighing lightly, "I can't say, it's inappropriate" I replied. She gave me a knowing look, "we all know you can't resist the country boys, they're so sweet and pure, not like the drugged up city whores. Your words not mine" she said with a laugh, smirking at me as I lay my face on my desk.

"What am I supposed to do Rosie? I'm actually drinking more coffee because you keep sending him to make yours" I muttered into the wood of my desk.

Rosie sat back in her chair and crossed her legs looking very relaxed, "well I don't know what team he plays for, so I don't know what to suggest" she said with a small smile.

I turned my head keeping it on the desk. "Maybe I should invite him for a chat after work to catch up and see how his first week is? Just to get a feeling for him." I raised my head, my eyes widening with excitement.

Rosie smiled at me "Sure thing boss, I'll tell him to come to your office after 5." She reached over and patted me on the head "Everything will be fine." She offered.

I looked up at her and quickly asked: "What did you originally come in for?" She laughed "I knew something was up with how nice you'd been to me, so I wanted to find out" she replied.

My face reddened as I thought about how apparently it was showing that I had a crush.

~*~

I continued to answer my emails as the thought of Kai being in my office so close to me ran through my head.

I was gonna need to be calm and collected to get through this. I couldn't launch at him with a million questions.

I needed to find out the essential information. I finished up my emails and looked around at the mess in my office. I sighed and began to clean up the files and Starbucks cups that sat on my desk.

I started to put them away, noticing Kai's personnel file in one of the cabinets. I fingered at it, debating whether to take a look. I decided against it and closed the drawer.

I sat back at my desk and nervously played with a pencil. I can't remember the last time I was nervous over a guy.

A knock came at my office door, and my eyes shot up. I quickly brushed down my suit and adjusted myself. Putting on my most dominant professional voice "come in" I called.

The door opened slowly, and Kai stepped into my office, his eyes lighting up with fear at the sight of me.

"Y-you asked to see me?" He said.