Prologue

I glanced down at the beam from under my feet. My feet, ankles, thighs, and hands were covered in chalk.

I gulped, sighing a very dramatic sigh as I curled my right toes downward on the balance beam . I threw my hands up curving my back, backward, as I did my  starting stance. I faked a smile in my dark purple leotard watching my coach and fellow gymnasts watching me from  a short distance. I started with a simple round-off on the beam landing perfectly before jumping into a back handspring. I threw my hands up and curled my back again. I grabbed the beam with my two hands falling upward into a handstand, then stretching my legs into a right split in the handstand. I let my handstand fall, landing my legs back on the beam, one leg at a time. I then did a back hand spring and a back tuck landing astonishing perfectly. I beamed a big smile realizing I had just completed part of the hardest routine my age group could do.

I bent down quickly after landing, holding the beam with both my hands as I rested my left foot on the beam lifting my right leg up. I got back up swooping my left leg by the beam. I then threw myself into an aerial. I smiled and threw my hands up, curling my back completing my rountine. I got off the beam, coaches and my friends complimenting me.

My coach kissed my forehead in an Italian way, and gave me a quick high-five before giving a short, quick hug. He clapped for me and I smiled widely now being ahead of my class, my age group, my advancement age group, advanced league, and the C, and B team. 

Everyone in the gym cheered me on noticing my amazing performance, if I do say myself. 

I walked over to the cubbies by the water fountains and grabbed and took short sips of my gatorade, or as I like to say, Energy Juice, breathing heavily from that "work out". 

30 minutes later I stretched on the floor hearing someone come over the intercom, "Hello gymnasts! It's now 5:00pm, and we would like to congratulate you all on trying your hardest for trying out for the hardest, the A team! As you all know, A team is ages 15-20, but with a few exceptions and an astonishing performance we can let people younger than that into the team. The names have now been calculated and we would like to congratulate-" 

I continued stretching not really caring about what they said. They listed people's ages, names, then old team, league, and age group. I waited every year for my name to be said, but nothing.

Then my heart stopped, "13, Audrey Keegan, Team B, Advanced League, Age Group 16. 17, Cheyenne Alcon, Team C-"

My eyes widened to the size of tennis balls and I got up and starting jumping, my friends and coaches hugging me as we jumped together on the tumble floor. "They said Audrey Keegan! THEY SAID AUDREY KEEGAN!" I screamed jumping up and down. "I made It! I made it!" 

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

That was the happiest day of my life.