Never Drowning | Chapter 1

My feet dip into the transparent water below, ripples cascading around their touch. My pale body then falls with it, in a gradual motion. My head is drowned into the warmth beneath me, entering a new world of imaginations.

My. Me. I.

I suddenly realise how long I have been under the water, and release the grasp that the liquid holds against me. The curls of my hair straighten as they emerge. My thoughts contemplate the world around me, the Time Changers, Abbie...Oh Abbie.

Thoughts. Time. Abbie.

That is how my brain works, in three stages. I think about what I have just had on my mind, and narrow them down to the main three key ideas. In some way, I think this helps me. Skin falls from my hand as I brush it toward the water. Then I drown.

Brain. Ideas. Drown.

Falling into the abyss below, my brain hurts. Blue lights guide me through the murky water, these same blue lights help me see my own fingers, I trace their beauty, I feel at peace. "What would I be like, to drown?" I ponder. Would it hurt? How would it feel? Why would it happen? Without realising, I understand how long I've been under the water, my blue eyes guide me home as I hyperventilate reaching the surface of the bathtub, I gasp for one last breath. One last thought, One last decision... I don't want to drown.

Hurt. Beauty. Drown.

Sitting up from the water, I stroke my eyes to remove the pain that hit them when I started to drown, my eyes are like blue lights. The near-death experience numbs my skin, however I may have violently swore due to my stupidity of staying under the water for so long. Trickles of water slide down my back from my vaguely ginger hair. The pearls of water find their way home, however I may have burst a few of them for my enjoyment. A line of sweat marks my forehead, and with anticipation, I look in the rectangular mirror that alines the bath I sit in.

Pain. Stupidity. Anticipation.

As I stare into my reflection, depression falls in. As a 16 year old boy, all I do is try and impress girls, but with my luck in appearance, I didn't stand a chance compared to others. I've only ever tried to impress one though and she wasn't interested in me. Abbie. Abbie was never interested in me. Grabbing a towel from the side, I continue staring into my soul, reflecting upon what I can change about myself. What I can do to make myself better, yet on that question I could never get my brain to work. The only time I could not get my brain to give me a thousand thoughts was the time I needed it most.

Depression. Appearance. Abbie.

Leaving my vainness behind was probably a smart move, just in case Mum caught me staring at myself in the mirror. She already anticipates I'm self obsessed anyway, I wouldn't want her to think she was right. The soles of my feet tap over the wooden floor, careful not to make too much noise, I tiptoe. As I leave the bathroom, my blue light eyes discover a parchment.

"Gone to work. Don't be too long and if I find out you've skipped school again, I will be very angry. I hope you understand Spero" - Mum

Family. Mum. Wrong.

I don't dislike my Mum, I just don't agree with her. She doesn't understand my tastes and critiques my personality. I still love her, though. She can't help that she's a bitch, and she's still my Mum. Walking to my bedroom seemed to happen quickly as my mind was entranced in thoughts. I push open the crooked door and sit my bare skin on my bed, picking up my tight school clothes and suffocating them around my skin. School is one of my least favourite places, mainly because of failure. I laugh it off, school only lasts a few hours and I'll be home. I dread to think what Mum would think if I missed another day of school.

School. Failure. Laughter. (My brain works in peculiar ways)

Cold air hits me as I open the door of my house, it hits me like a snowball. Oh wait no, I did get hit by a snowball. I see my brother with a clump of ice moulded into a non-symmetrical circle, pouncing with excitement. Another ball of snow splurged on my face, it's muted colours dampening my plush cheeks. Peter, my brother, goes to College, one of the only Colleges left. I'm confused as I understand he should be at College now.

"Surely you're not skipping College? Mum is going to go mad" - I stutter.

"No, idiot. They let me go as they said they needed the teachers for something. Probably another strike." Peter replies.

"Well, you can't go home, if Mum found you home she wouldn't believe any of that"

With hesitation he forms an answer, "I'm, urm. I'm not, I was walking to the shop. Yeah. Well, urm, I'll see you later Spero!"

"Like I believe that" I mutter with sarcasm beneath my ice breath.

Brother. Hesitation. Lies.

Without even entering my school, I know something has changed. Something is different. People scatter the assembly hall like ants racing around their classrooms like they're inspecting something. What's happening? I query.

"Spero Thomas?"

My first and last name.

I nod.

"Follow me please."

My first and last day.