Gamma Quinn looked up from her desk, her face full of doubt. “The Autumn Lakota Clan is days from here, and a Southern-nested pack.” She tapped her fingernails along her wooden desk, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand. “Thus, not a threat to us.”

I let out a mocking laugh, soon turning into a hysterical laugh. “Is everyone mentally slow in this town?” I asked, meaning for it to be rhetorical. “Every pack is a threat. That’s why we have territories and treaties, if we didn’t it would be anarchy.” I sighed, letting my frustration leave my body, “I get it. You haven’t had to deal with this for years but you can’t just pretend everything is sunshine and rainbows, especially when I’m telling you it’s not.”

The she-wolf rubbed her temples, pushing back a lock of black hair that had fallen out of place. “Fine.” She snapped, meeting my gaze with the same bored expression from before. “Say I believe you, how long do we have before they attack?” 

I pausing, trying to remember what my father had said. The memories were hazy and scrambled. “I can remember Alpha Jason boasting all the packs he would conquer night after night. But one night stood out in particular.  I was sitting in his desk chair, while he paced the dimly lit room. It must have been late since he was dressed in a dress shirt and jeans, instead of his usual suit and tie. I remember he was distraught, but I can’t remember why.” I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to focus my thoughts on that one night. “He kept muttering something about how your pack wasn’t meant to form again and how she had promised it wouldn’t.”

“Who?” Gamma Quinn’s voice echoed throughout the small space.

I shook my head, “I don’t know, he never said. But he was so upset so it must have been someone he trusted.” I opened my eyes, my thoughts linking together. Trust; the word piecing together the rest of the puzzle in my mind’s eyes. “He said he couldn’t trust her judgment anymore, he was going to act on his own. He’s going to attack on the full moon on the winter solstice.”

She leaned forward, her bored expression cracking to let fear leak through her eyes. “That’s…” she trailed off, ripping the small flip calendar off her desk and running her finger along the page without blinking. “N-No. That’s in thirteen days. We can’t- no won’t be ready.” She stuttered, her now wild eyes snapping up to my face. “How do you know this?” Gamma Quinn demanded, her pupils swallowing her eyes up into a sea of black. “Why should the Alpha trust you?”

I gritted my teeth at her stubborn nature. I figured when you told someone their pack was about to become dog-food they would be a little more cooperative. “Because Alpha Jason of the Autumn Lakota Clan is my father.” I growled, knowing my eyes would flash colour as my voice boomed against the four walls.

Gamma Quinn had the intelligence to look scared. The fear in her eyes soon disappearing to turn into a look of anger, as her features twisted into a blank mask. “Son of an enemy pack.” She whispered, her words sounding robotic.

“What?” I snapped, “Are you kidding me?”

“Ghost!” She yelled, she bolted from her chair, her eyes never once leaving mine.

The large wooden door swung open, nearly knocking me sideways as the airwave it caused brushed past my arm. It slammed against the back wall with a resounding crack. The shifter, Ghost, stood over me and snarled, his height seemed to double now. His whole body language screamed defensive and that I was the target. He reached forward and grabbed my arms, before twisting them behind my back.

I tore my gaze away from Ghost to Gamma Quinn, “I just helped you!” My own anger leaking into my tone, as I tried to rip out of Ghost’s grasp, “Why the fuck would I have told you all that if I was a spy?”

The black haired she-wolf ignored me completely and only looked at Ghost. “Take him to the holding cell until the Alpha returns, then he can deal with this.” Her voice was stern and her gaze was as cold as ice.

Ghost tightened his hold on me and bowed his head. He left the Gamma’s office with me in tow. My mouth was agape with what was happening. I try to help them and they treat me was a traitor. I was being dragged to the dungeons like some criminal, to be shoved away into a cage like an animal. A growl rumbled in the back of my throat as we continued down the hallway.

“This is the last fucking time I try to be a good person.”

- - - - 

Unedited & A Short Chapter: 

While Harper and Dakota are off dealing with their own family drama, Chris isn't doing much better, eh? I'm a bit of a mean author, I'll admit it ;) But that makes this fun! Anyways, I will edit this when I get home from work tonight, hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think!! 

Also do you like the new cover, or should I go back to my old one? 

Comment / Vote / Loveit / Hateit <3