My father’s Gamma, Rory, had been an idiot. He was the son of our a Beta and frankly a kiss ass. His role was pointless. I highly doubted this pack’s Gamma would prove to be any better.

“This is hardly the matter for some Gamma,” I let the sarcasm roll of my tongue as I used the meaningless title. “Just take me to the Alpha.”

“The Alpha is not here, you will see the Gamma.” The larger shifter, whose name I still hadn’t learned, paused in front of a cherry wood door at the end of the windowless hallway. It felt all a little too ominous for my taste. He knocked with a off-putting strength against the wood door.

“Come in, Ghost,” I soft voice rang from the other side of the door.

I gave a tentative glance at my guard. It seemed ridiculous but the name suited him perfectly. For the size of the man he barely made a sound. Ghost opened the door and left it open for me to walk in. He bowed his head in respect and closed the door putting him on the other side of the door.

“Christopher, is it?”

I pivoted in surprise at the sound of the voice. There stood a small woman, she couldn’t have been more than five feet, her black hair cut into a short pixie cut. She looked like a twelve-year-old boy at first glance, but it was definitely a woman.

She raised an eyebrow at me, obviously waiting for my reply as she watched me size her up. “Yeah,” I breathed, a tad flustered. “You’re the Gamma.”

The woman nodded, pursing her lips as her gazed hardened. “Yes, I’m Gamma Quinn.”

I had never seen a woman in any sort of dominant position in a pack except for being the mate of the three-command trio; Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Yet, here she was. Quinn narrowed her eyes as she saw mine widen. The shocked probably painted across my features. She held a look of judgment and raised herself from her office chair.  

“Is that a problem?” She growled lowly, her body language screaming offended.

I shook my head, not trusting my words. I never thought of myself as sexist but I just couldn’t rap my head around the idea of a female shifter holding a high rank, never mind being the Gamma. It just didn’t happen. The rigorous training, brutal challenge matches and constant physical strain required with being a dominant force in a pack tended to wean out the woman.

“Good,” Quinn released the tight grip from her desk, I hadn’t even noticed she was holding, and sat back into her chair. “I’m told you’ve been keeping the wolves who took the night patrol shift from sleeping with all your yelling.”

I took a step further into the room, straightening out my back, gaining some confidence back. “I suppose I have.”

“And why is that?” The Gamma looked bored, shuffling through papers lying across her desk. She didn’t even look up to meet my gaze.

My chest rumbled from the disrespect she was showing me. Nikan was trying to claw his way out of my skin, ready to snap her neck. Gamma or not, I was the son of an Alpha and I was trying to help these fucking people. “Because none of you idiots will listen. You are going to be attacked by the Autumn Lakota Clan.” I growled, “So unless you want to fucking die, I suggest you start listening to me!”