Chapter One Hundred And Thirty Nine - Leaving In Chaos

Start from the beginning

Lewin waved the girl over and they sat down beside the two boys. "Jenefer explained how you were caught," he whispered, not wanting others to hear their conversation.

"Yes, it was unfortunate," Elyas sighed. "I wish it otherwise, but... well. Enough of that. Share with me what has been happening in my absence."

"A couple of youths from the lower class were upgraded into ours," Lewin mentioned.

"That's not interesting news to share," Herebert argued. "But you might find this so. Lewin was matched up with some noble's daughter!"

Elyas recalled that Lewin's birthday was actually just a few days before his own, whilst Herebert would need wait another two months to turn sixteen. "Noble's daughter?" he questioned. Lewin's talent might be only considered middling, but surely his talent line would be hoped to be inherited by future offspring thus a mage bride would ordinarily be assigned.

The boy sighed and Elyas noticed that Jenefer squeezed his hand encouragingly. It seemed something else had begun since he was transferred. "My father is actually a sought after mage. There were noble suitors as well as mage girls considered. I suspected that girl's father simply paid the matchmakers the most money," his voice turned bitter.

"And Lewin's not the only one with an unwanted pairing," Herebert mentioned, his eyes turning to view Jenefer, who had not let go of Lewin's hand.

"Patrick," she said with a grimace.

"Ah," Elyas said, gently. "You both have my sympathies."

"I do not see what is so bad about a noble girl," Herebert mentioned. "Though Patrick... I wouldn't pair him with a cave goat!" Jenefer giggled in appreciation for his jest.

"Imagine the most selfish, arrogant, self-absorbed creature within this city," Elyas suggested. "Place a permanent sneer and up turned nose, hands that have never known real work and eyes that have never seen a plant before it appeared upon the plate and you come somewhat close."

"You sound as if you have had recent experience," Lewin agreed with his description, though even then he considered it too light.

"Unfortunately," Elyas muttered, thinking of the clinic trip. Both boys sighed in unison.

"Join us for lunch?" Lewin suggested. "We can lament as we used to."

"Sure," Elyas agreed. The four students left the library joking about as if they had never been separated, just with the addition of a girl. Suddenly, there came a commotion, Teachers and students darted towards the halls exit. Teacher Exalos paused before Jenefer and asked for her to come with him. Curious the boys followed, but were stopped before they could leave by an older student.

"All students not requested to help are to return to their dorms," the young man stated.

"Why, what's occurring?" Herebert asked. "Surely you can tell us. We swear not to gossip about it." The young man hesitated, but he seemed fit to burst in need to share what he knew and Herebert's innocently smiling face was all the encouragement he needed.

He stopped low and whispered; "It seems that some plant suddenly mutated in the heart of the merchant district and has grown wild, attacking everyone and everything in reach. The Teachers have taken the fire and air students in order to stop its rampage." Fire to burn the plant and Air to inflame and dampen the fire. Herebert and Lewin glanced at Elyas, who shrugged.

"Elyas is a fire user," Herebert explained to the student. Elyas revealed the mark upon his arm to prove this, but the older boy seemed reluctant to let them go as a Teacher had not requested them. "He's powerful, if he helps destroy the plant, there will be less damage in the long run!"

The older student continued to hesitate so Lewin mentioned; "Quickly now, there are more curious students coming this way." This distracted the boy enough that they slipped past him leaving with just his audible protest. He cursed them, feeling tricked, but acknowledged internally that Elyas was indeed a fire user and required to help. So he went to stop the other students from leaving the halls instead.

The three boys came to the scene, the giant, wild rose bush threw about it's thick branches and flung thorns at any that got too near. The leaves of the bush were aflame, but it's roots were still firm and clearly burying beneath the surface. Several buildings had been reduced to rubble and there were huge cracks leading up the causeway to the elite district. It would not be so easy for the wealthy to descend to purchase goods for a while. Jenefer was clutching her leg, which had been stuck by a thorn away from the other fire and air users that were focused on the branches and flowers that were trying to bloom in the confusion. Lewin knelt by her side and gently he removed the thorn as Herebert produced purified water to help clean the wound.

Elyas in the meantime was rolling his eyes at the mess and chaos before him before letting loose a huge fireball and controlling its direction to the base of the plant.  His eyes flowed as he increased the temperature of his flames pouring his magic into them as he ensured that the fire caught.  Satisfied with his contribution, he gave a slight nod, before seeing how his friends were doing.  "I'm okay," Jenefer murmured, though she was clearly still in pain.

A shadow overcast all of them and they turned to see an intimidating man leaning over them.  A small white snake was curled upon his shoulder.  "Found you," Five said as he looked at Elyas.  Elyas sighed in relief. 

"Was that your doing?" Elyas asked as his friends stared in surprise.

Five shook his head.  "Accident," he told them.  "Eight panicked." 

"Ah, I remember you!" Jenefer said loudly, before a warning glance from Elyas and the man had her covering her mouth.  Elyas glanced around quickly, but they were still dealing with the dying plant and it's elaborate death throws.  It would not be long before their battle ended, however.

"Let's get out of here, go somewhere quieter," Elyas suggested.  Five nodded and scooped Jenefer up, who held her hands over her mouth in order not to squeal.  They rapidly descended to the poor quarter and into the crowds that had gathered there, barely held back by the soldiers so curious to know what was occurring.  A strange boy appeared from within the shadows of an alleyway causing the girl and Herebert to yelp in shock once more.  The boy indicated that they should follow him and literally melted into the shadows once more.  Five, however, could still follow him, even if the other could no longer see him.

Elyas followed Five to be confronted by a strange bunch of people, who Five slowly introduced.  "So, you all plan to rescue Seven?" Elyas asked the group, who had varying reactions to his words.

"Elyas, what's going on?" Lewin asked him.

"Well, you see.  I kind of decided to leave the Kingdom and help rescue Five's friend," he advised with a slightly sheepish face.

"The boy lost to the forest?" Jenefer asked.  "But that's suicide!"

"Better than becoming a toy for the elite and wed to some person I don't like," Elyas replied, pouring out the angst in his heart.

"I agree!" Lewin said, firmly.  "When do we leave?" Jenefer smiled and nodded, she would not be left behind without Lewin.

"You are all nuts!" Herebert complained, but added; "Count me in!"