Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

             “Do you know how insanely creepy this all is?” I ask once I’ve got my laptop case up again. “Seriously, what if Layla, Laura, or my dad finds out?”

             Travis arches a brow and smiles cunningly, “I can handle Layla.”

             “Debatable.” I look up from my screen while scoffing at his arrogance, “What about Laura and Dad?”

             “I don’t think they even suspect anything.” He reasons, shrugging his shoulders with such empathy.

             “Travis,” I demand, “My mother tried to abduct me. He is a hawk right now.”

             “Look, I’ve got a handle of it,” He snaps, shutting the cover down forcefully, “Just do your part and don’t go looking for trouble.”

             He gets up while I gape at him in astonishment. As if completely oblivious, he stretches an arm back to scratch his head before turning his back to me. I bite my lip in irritation, trying to hold back a mouthful of anger.

             “Whatever.” I finally utter, glaring down at my computer again.

             “I’m going to make something to eat for Mason,” He continues, now glancing down at his phone, “You want anything?”

             “Are you serious?” I ask, startled that he would even make such an offer.

             He flashes me a grin before stalking off, “As if I would ever do that.”

             “Right.” I grind out, clicking my tongue in the process.

             Seconds later, Travis vanishes into the kitchen, leaving me to my own brewing thoughts in the room next door. I heave a sigh and glance at the time, taking note at how close I’m cutting eight in the evening.

             I bolt up from my seat and slam my laptop shut. Gathering my bags, I swing it over my shoulder and walk into the kitchen to let Travis know I’m leaving.

             As soon as I walk in, I catch the scent of boxed macaroni fill my nose—I nearly gag. Travis turns around and opens his mouth to say something just as his brother, Mason runs out of the store room with parmesan cheese in his hand.

             “Hi Faye,” he calls while running over to Travis.

             “No man,” Travis groans, looking down at Mason. I suppress a laugh at his reaction while Mason’s features transform as he prepares for his temper tantrum. “Cheese makes you gassy enough.”

             “I don’t care.” He argues, shoving the parmesan in his face, “I want more.”

             Travis shakes his head and snatches the bottle from his hands, “Fine, you make your pasta.”

             “I would but I can’t reach the top!” Mason snaps angrily, throwing his now free hands in the air.

             I chuckle to myself and give the boy some credit. He’s about half the stove’s height, his hands barely reaching up to the counter where the heat is.

             My phone vibrates just as I’m about to tell the two I’m off. Instantly, I halt and grab it, wondering if Dad had already come home from work. Much to my relief and confusion, the sender reads anonymous.

             He’s lying, you know. He hasn’t even told you the worst of what he’s done. You think he actually went to jail for stealing a piece of candy? You can’t trust him.

             I stare at the screen for a good minute.

             Then, slowly, I lift my gaze to look at Travis. He’s still arguing with his brother, waving his finger around and denying him the access to cheese. I really look at him—the way the scar on his temple travels down, fading away the farther down it goes. Like a grapevine, all his bruises are connected, one way or another.

             I shake my head and tuck the phone back into my pocket.

             “Travis,” I say, clearing my throat, “I’m going to head off.”

             He glances up while Mason continues to scratch at the counter for his cheese.

             “Yeah,” He nods before ducking and narrowing his eyes, “Be careful.”

             I manage to offer him an eye roll before turning around to leave. My fingers itch in my pockets as I bite my lip in puzzlement. My mind races as I go over what just happened.

             “We’re hitting the gym on Wednesday,” Travis calls out before I exit.  

                                      ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ 

Surprise! 

Another upload of Playing With Fire is up. 

Just a little sidenote: I do NOT want to see comments that just tell me to 'update', because you know what? I just did. So, please, if you don't have anything to say besides that, by all means, don't comment. I love comments, but those just get me mad. 

Now, the majority of you read my author's notes and comply, and for that, I thank you! I always appreciate  those who do. I just want y'all to know that I do take notice in who is consistent and always encouraging me--that is most of you--and I always smile when I see your usernames pop up. I appreciate every ounce of support you've given to me, I would never forget that. 

With that said, let's see how this goes! (: 

Can I get 15 comments? 

VOMMENT. 

xxSummerxx