His grandfather stood and hobbled to the fridge. “Want a beer?”

AJ choked down the stale roll. “Sure.”

Grandpa set a can on the table. “First one’s free.” He wheezed a laugh, which became a loud clearing of his throat. He pushed open the sliding glass doors, stepped onto the patio. No sooner had he sat on a metal glider, he began working a knife against a block of wood.

AJ followed and filled his lungs with the ocean breeze. “You still carving mermaids?”

Grandpa held it at arm’s length. “Trying to. It’s not so easy, with eyes as bad as mine.”

“Maybe you need new glasses.” AJ sipped his beer. His grandfather would be true to his word. With exactly seventy-two cents in his pocket, AJ wanted to make the beer last. In a few weeks, a paycheck might be coming. If he could stand the job until then.

Grandpa harrumphed. “A new car, too, while you’re at it.”

AJ sat next to him. “Let me see.”

His grandfather held it up as tenderly as if it were glass. The rough outline showed a flipper curving to a tail up to a slim waist, ample breasts concealed by clam shells. The face he always left until last. Then he’d become frustrated, say he could never get it right. And start a new one.

“Beautiful as ever.” AJ stifled a grin. “For once, though, I wish you’d leave the shells off.”

“Pah. You’re still a kid. You don’t know anything.”

AJ twisted the ring off the can. “Oh, I know a few things. I’m not so little anymore.”

His grandfather chuckled. “Twenty one is still a baby. A baby. You live to be my age, then you’ll know something.”

“Like what?” AJ liked this game. One of the few family traditions they had.

“Like everything.” He stared out through the ferns to where people still wandered the beach, playing Frisbee, flying a kite, walking. “Like life.”

The sun dipped its edge into the water, sending a flotilla of rays toward them.

“Like mermaids?” AJ tipped the can to his lips and watched his grandfather’s reaction.

Grandpa gripped the glider’s arm. “Someday you’ll know–you don’t know as much as you think you know.”

“I know.” He made his face as innocent-looking as the day he and Mom moved out.

Grandpa did a double-take, then waved away his remark.

AJ chuckled.

Pushing himself up, Grandpa stood, looking out toward the waves. “I’m going to watch the news, then go to bed. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll get a good night’s rest. Tomorrow will be a long day at work.” He looked at AJ pointedly. “Work–remember what work is?”

His grandfather never acknowledged the grueling schedule of his band as work.

Three years ago, he’d left home, sure his indie band would hit MTV’s Top 10 play list. They played for hours, till his fingers were numb from the guitar strings. Crashed into bed at four or five, then got up to work at the convenience store, then perform at another gig.

At first, the band had had few bookings. After the lead singer left, AJ stepped to the mike in his place. Girls loved him. More gigs followed. When the drummer’s girlfriend came on to him, AJ knew it was a bad move, but he’d had too much to drink, and she looked hotter than any girl he’d seen in months. The drummer was a good guy. He didn’t deserve it. Didn’t deserve her either, though. She could make her own decisions, couldn’t she? Still, AJ didn’t blame him for leaving, but AJ’s indiscretion ended their band. A year ago, the band bottomed out, unable to find another good drummer.