Chapter 17 - Part 3

"We can watch over you, Eric. We can even pass our power onto you, albeit in a limited way. What we can't do is fight the monsters for you, or rather, for the people of Missouri County. We exist in a different plane to you, and the monsters are on your plane, not ours... for now. We can't force you to do anything, but you know what has to be done, and you know you're the only person left who can do it, for all the misery that it'll bring you."

"Yeah, 'misery.' God knows this county is named for it." Eric let out a sardonic laugh.

"If you can find humor in this all, then half the battle is already won."

"Tell that to the hordes of hungry monsters just waiting to munch me up."

"No one said this was going to be easy."

"No shit."

"Did you forget that you came here by choice?"

Eric looked over at the fairy.

"Neither we nor any other force but your own will had any part in bringing you to Missouri County," Fflur said. "That was your choice. You heard of what was happening and you chose to intervene."

"I guess I did."

"It wasn't chance that brought you here, Eric. It wasn't even any sort of divine intervention. It was your own human spirit and drive to help your fellow man. I don't need to convince you to do the right thing, because you've already convinced yourself."

"I have?"

"Do you doubt that? Did you come here for any other reason?"

"No, I guess I didn't."

"You're the glowing light in this sea of darkness. You're the brave knight squaring off against the vile dragon. Others may fall, and you may fall too, but your spirit will ride forever against the forces of evil. So tell me now, will you give up at this crucial moment when, in spite of your losses, you have the enemy on the defensive, or will you take the fight to them and march them straight into hell?"

"OK, I'll be honest, that was a bit more intense than I expected from a fairy, but since you've put it so eloquently, I guess I'm still in." Eric looked over at the mound of dirt and the makeshift cross beside him. "I just wish I wasn't alone."

"You play the hand you're dealt, and I know that you'll play it to the best of your ability."

"I would do, but I can't help but feel like I'm holding aces and eights."

"Maybe you are. Is that enough to make you surrender?"

"No," Eric said resolutely. "I've put my life on the line many times before." Scenes of Basra flashed through his head. "This time is no different."

"Good, then go forth, and don't you worry about Cassie. We'll take care of her. Her soul is safe and will remain so for eternity."

"I only hope you can do the same for me when the time comes."