Chapter 3

"I think I may know someone to help on earth," Cress began. It was pretty intimidating to be here in the palace helping Princess Selene, Princess Winter, and their friend, but she had an idea. "If you could get someone outside the law to sneak in and insert a DCOM chip into the emperor's netscreen you might be able to get in touch with him, and I think I have someone in mind..."

"You have contacts on earth? How does a shell make earthen friends from inside a prison?" Jacin demanded. He seemed to be suspicious now.

"Well, I don't actually know this person, it's more like I know of him," Cress explained. She let her thoughts wander for just a moment. She followed Captain Carswell Thorne on the feeds when she could. He was dashing with a hard exterior, but all of his crimes had a kind reason behind them that made Cress melt. And, he was very conveniently placed to pull this off.

"There's a man in New Beijing prison. His name is Carswell Thorne, and I think he could help you," Cress started. All eyebrows were raised, but Cress didn't leave room to argue just yet. "He's a pilot, but he's also a mastermind. He's been in the system since he was in elementary school. He's pretty easy to bribe. You'd just have to give him his freedom when he's done. You'll be queen in a month, that should be enough."

Selene looked like she was considering the idea, and Winter was smiling brightly, but Jacin did not look convinced. "You want to trust a criminal with a secret chip with a direct line to the Princess? Why this 'Carswell Thorne' specifically?"

It was a good question, after all, anyone could attempt to do this impossible task. "I have a good feeling about him," was all Cress could say. Admitting that she may be desperately in love with him probably would not help her case.

"I think we should trust her," Princess Selene finally said, "We brought her in here to give us advice, I think we should take it."

Princess Winter nodded in agreement. "I like the name, Carswell. It sounds lovely and rolls right off the tongue." She said the name and stuck out her tongue to demonstrate.

Cress wasn't sure because the room was so big and they were so far from the door, but she thought she saw Jacin soften at Winter's words. Ah, she wasn't the only one thinking with her heart in here.

"Okay, so we have this 'Thorne' break into New Beijing palace for us and put in the DCOM. How do we get it to him at all?" It was very clear to Cress that Jacin had taken on the role of the worrier in this group. She wanted to smile a little when she thought about how Winter was like the day to his night. She was a bit of a hopeless romantic.

But where did that put Selene? The one she had placed all her trust in, the new moon?

"Leave that to me Jacin." The future queen straightened her shoulders, a determined glow flickering to life. "There is one ship leaving for Earth this very morning."

-----

The hangar was bustling with the sound of wolf soldiers. Mostly, the room reeked of rotting meat and wet dog, but Ze'ev was trained to notice more than most. He smelled Lunar and metal. He knew this one well.

Pulling away from the group of soldiers surrounding him, Ze'ev followed his noise to a corner crammed with machinery and spare parts. It was a corner perfect for hiding--if you were a cyborg at least.

"Your Highness," the alpha said inclining his head ever so slightly.

"It's good to see you, Alpha Kesley," Princess Selene whispered. She stepped into the light, her metal arm glinting ever so slightly beneath the harsh lighting of the hangar.

It had been three years since Ze'ev had seen the heir apparent to the Lunar throne. Three years since her aunt had sent her to work with his pack's thaumaturge. When he had first met her he had seen a sad, tiny girl made of less human that even him, but that all changed.

He had learned to read her well in those weeks she spent training with them. "What do you need?"

Selene popped open a compartment in her finger and pulled out a tiny, thin disk. "I need you to take this to New Beijing."

"Your Highness, our ship is headed to Paris," Ze'ev pointed out, though he knew she had known already. She was asking him to leave his pack, to go on the run.

"I need to get in contact with Emperor Kaito. It's my only hope of staying alive long enough to take the crown from my aunt," she explained. She blew some hair out of her face as she began gesturing. "You'll need to find a way to take this chip to Carswell Thorne and break him out of New Beijing prison. I have a source that claims he is a criminal mastermind and should be able to get the chip to the Emperor himself."

Ze'ev raised an eyebrow. "Why don't I just take it myself?"

Selene shook her head. "Levana is getting restless. Within days you'll be too recognizable as a Lunar special operative. This guy is only known for petty theft crimes. I just need you to keep an eye on him."

"Let's go operatives!" called the pack's thaumaturge. People would start smelling for their alpha soon. Ze'ev had to make a decision.

Selene sighed and relaxed just for a moment. "I know this is asking a lot Ze'ev. I know what your pack means and how you've worked for the past ten years. If you say no I'll find another way..."

"No," Ze'ev muttered and took the chip from her hands. He couldn't let the princess risk anything more. He would have to help her. If she survived just one more month in time for her coronation, then he would be free. He could go see his family. "Consider it done."

"If you can find a port to connect this DCOM to when you're on earth you can contact me with updates. I have someone here who might be able to help you get out of tough situations," she said, but Ze'ev read her worry and thankfulness there. "Good luck Alpha Kesley," and she slipped away.

Ze'ev dropped the chip into the hidden pocket of his jacket and made his way back to the center of the hangar with his pack. "Let's go," he grunted, "There's a lot riding on this one."

 A/N: Hey guys! It's been a while (I know I say that a lot). Here's the entirety of the fiction I've written this school year (It's been rough). Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I"m hoping to write more in the future.

-Theresa