Chapter Three

Azalea's POV

I walked downstairs to Hayden's porch, where I could smell burgers and hot dogs grilling. Oh, that made my stomach growl. I advanced towards the outdoors, where there were even more people than I realized there. I grabbed a burger on the table and sat down in a chair to munch on it.

So what next... I thought with a mouthful of food.

Well, I do want to get my mission done as soon as possible, and this is the perfect time to do so... stealing it is.

I got out of the chair I was sitting in and mumbled some sort of excuse when Z asked me where I was going. She seemed to get the message by the way she nodded.

I speedily proceeded upstairs and as quietly as I could possibly move, I continued into Hayden's room. I stealthily walked towards the laptop, which was currently laying on the ground unoccupied. As my hands got closer my heart started beating fast with excitement. It was just too good to be true. My mission was nearly...

"Hey you! Why are you in Hayden's room?"

I jumped and my body automatically turned around. A girl, most likely not any older than ten, with dark brown hair and brown eyes that was wearing a sweater that said "Smile" on it was staring at me intently.

"What are you doing here?" I snapped, extremely annoyed with her.

"What are YOU doing here?" She crossed her arms. "This is Hayden Brown's room and you're here without him, obviously trying to steal one of his belongings."

"No," I said. "I was just..."

She cut me off. "Save it. I know what you're trying to do and stealing is not right. Now if you excuse me, I gotta tell Hayden about this..."

"NO!" I shouted, louder than I wanted to.

She turned around, startled. "And why not?"

"Because..." I thought for a minute. "Everything will be ruined. I know you want something. I can see it in your eyes. I'll give it to you, whatever you desire."

"So you'd rather bribe me than get in trouble with Hayden?"

"Yes."

"Okay... five dollars per day."

I flinched. Five dollars... that's going to add up fast if I take longer to complete my mission. Crap, what am I going to tell Z...?

I hesitated, then thought, What am I going to tell her when Hayden finds out and my mission is ruined? What am I going to tell Builderman? Telamon (or Shedlesky...)?

I walked up to her and shook her hand. "It's a deal."

"And if you miss a day," she said. She made a cutting throat hand motion. "Everything is over."

I nodded vigorously. I figured today would be a bad day to steal his laptop, anyway. He would immediately suspect me because I would think he doesn't trust me at all now. I have to earn it, most likely at school, then I can give it another shot. But at the same time, I have to keep this deal with this girl...

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked her before she walked away.

"Amanda," she replied, and continued down the stairs.

Or Amanda, or else she'll sell me out to Hayden. Then I'm going to be in trouble with Builderman, and he probably won't want me in the army anymore. I gulped. This mission is extremely dire towards everything that I live for. If I'm going to wait on stealing the laptop, though, I'm going to need to do some more spying to keep myself occupied, and my flashdrive up to date.