THIRTY-SEVEN - THE ONES WHO REUNITED

MAKE SURE TO VOTE AND COMMENT

idk what this chapter is but here you go please don't flame me

word count: [2675]

TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER

"I'd be worried that they'd think I'm your girlfriend again, but you've had a girlfriend for the longest time. How is that going, by the way?" I asked Austin. We were at a small coffee shop, so it was less paparazzi—if there was going to be any—and also fewer people that'd recognize Austin.

It feels nice to be sitting here with Austin. It reminds me of how we first met, reminds me of the old times and how easy it was back then.

He smiled, all bright, like a kid who just received a whole bucket of candy. "Great. She just kind of ignores everyone else at this point."

"That's good," I said sincerely because it was good. I can't believe that he had the same girlfriend this whole time — not saying he's not capable or is a bad boyfriend — but I just know how hard it is. I couldn't do it for that long.

"How are things with you?" Austin asked. "Last I heard, Hazel and Eli are engaged, and you're the maid of honor."

I laughed, thinking about it. "It turned out to be a prank, but Eli promised me that I could be the maid of honor when the time really comes."

Austin looked weirdly at me with a raised eyebrow and a very confused facial expression. "Is that healthy for their relationship? That's kind of cruel isn't it?"

I guess that if people didn't really know Hazel and Eli, they would think it was cruel but their relationship is just like that. "I think I was more mad about it than Hazel was," I told him honestly.

Austin still kind of looks confused, but he dismisses it. "So how are things with you now?"

I folded my hands together. "The person in charge of the organization I'm a part of wants to open a center for children in some rough neighborhood so they could have somewhere they could accept. She wanted to know if I wanted to be in charge of the one they're opening in here," I paused, smiling, "in Los Angeles. I told her that I had to think about it."

"Wow," Austin breathed. "That's a lot you have going on."

I chuckled lightly. "Um, I was kind of hoping that you'd give me some advice, you know, after I told you about it."

"And I'm guessing you'll hate me if I told you to just follow your heart?" He asked, and when I glared at him, he looked up at the ceiling. "Why do you need to think about it?"

"There's a new opportunity for me here, but my life is back home."

"You can create a new life here too."