Chapter 2

"So, who are you going to ask out for the dance?" Mike asked.

"Erica, duh, but I don't know if she'll say yes," I whispered back. Mike, my best friend from middle school had been accepted a few months back and he was enjoying Spy School so far. Mike was quite a lady guy. He made everyone at school fall in love with him, even Erica, and that was impressive. I was a little made at him for that, but Erica didn't like him anymore. Mike leaned his back on the bench that we were sitting on. He digged up some snow using his snow boot.

"Ben, seriously. Any girl can fall in love, but you need to be sneaky with those tough girls, like Erica. She's already shown feelings for you, so just with a little bit of sprinkle and you'll catch her easily as bait," Mike replied.

"Yeah you're right," I said. Mike had a point. Erica did have feelings for me, so it would be easier to ask her to the dance than the first time I met her. "Who are you going to ask out?" I asked, being polite. Mike scoffed. I already knew the answer.

"Well, you know girls. I might ask out that girl named Hannah. She's in my weaponry class," Mike replied. He ran his fingers through his hair. I was actually kinda shocked that Mike didn't have more girls to ask out. Spy School's girls were quite hard to catch as bait. That made me a little more non-confident than I had before.

"Hey Smokescreen!" a voice shouted. I jolted. Zoe was running across the snow. Zoe, one of my friends at Spy School, was the one that I trusted the most. My nickname was Smokescreen and she always called me that. She had revealed feelings for me on the last mission and that had shaken our friendship a tad. It had been awkward ever since. I smiled at her appearence.

Zoe stopped running when she reached us. She was on her knees and panting. "Hey Ben!" she managed to say as she was catching her breath.

"Hi Zoe," I mumbled. Zoe was full of energy all the time.

"Are you going to the Valentine's Day dance?" she asked, now taking a seat between Mike and I.

"Um, yeah. Why?" I replied. I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to go with her. I fiddled with my fingers.

"Well, uh. Um. D-do you want to go to the dance with me?" Zoe asked shyly. I looked at Mike with a help-me-now look. He just glared back at me with a sigh.

"Um. Zoe," I muttered. Zoe gave me an angry look. She was really sweet, but when she was angry, she was deadly, "I already have someone I want to ask. Sorry." I was so embarrassed. My face grew hot. She glared at me. Her face became gloomy with disappointment.

"Oh," was all she managed to say. She got up and ran away into the distance. I could hear her crying. I mouthed sorry, but I need to go. See you later.

He gave me a pat on the shoulder and off I went screaming, "Zoe! Zoe, wait up! I didn't mean it!" Zoe was quite a runner. She was much faster than me and halfway down the field, I had to stop running and catch my breath. I'm so dumb. I groaned. I should have never hurt her feelings that way. I sighed. I wanted to go say sorry, but I had other things to think about. Erica and I were helping out setting up for the Valentine's party. Valentine's day was in a week and I had to find out a way to ask Erica to the dance.