Chapter Eight

You lean on the railing of the ship, feeling the wind billow through your hair. Jotaro sits next to you in an Adirondack chair with his hat over his eyes. The waves seem to ease you into a waking sleep. You feel so calm. You slide down to a fetal position and rest your head on your knees, leaning against Jotaro's chair.
Suddenly, you're woken up by a splash! You stand up and look over the railing. You panic when you see a young boy fall into the water a split second before he's submerged.
"S-s-s-someone j-just j-j-j-jumped off!!" You cry. "W-w-we have t-to s-s-save him!!"
Jotaro lifts his hat up and eyes you. "He wouldn't have jumped if he wasn't a good swimmer."
You let out a quiet sigh when you see the boy's head pop up and he begins to swim. Fear overtakes you when you see a large shadow underwater, trailing closely behind the boy. You feel a pit in your stomach. "SH-SH-SHARK!!!"
Everybody rushes over to the railing and starts shouting at the boy to come back. He turns around to see a shark lunging at him. Without thinking, you put your foot up on the railing and jump into the ocean.
"{Y/N}!!!!" Everyone shouts as you dive in and summon Onyx Sword. You slash at the shark multiple times and launch it through the air until its body floats on the surface of the water. You look over at the boy.
"A-are you o-o-okay?"
"Um..." the boy mutters.
"C-come on, I-I'll get you to s-safety." You wrap your arms around the boy's chest and begin to kick your feet towards the boat. He gasps and you pause. He looks up at you, blushing.
"I-is everything okay...?" You hold him tighter and he gasps again. "W-wait..."
You pull the boy's hat off and long black hair tumbles to the surface of the water.
"Y-you're a g-girl?" Your eyes go wide, face red. "I-I'm so s-s-sorry!"
You loosen your grip on the boy—no, the girl's chest and instead hold onto her waist while you swim to the boat.
You and the girl climb onto the deck, both soaking wet. You're shivering violently. Jotaro instantly runs over to you and grabs you by your shoulders.
"{Y/N}! Why did you do that!? You could've died!" He tightens his grip on you and looks you in the eyes.
"I..." You look up at Jotaro, tears in your eyes. "I-I-I'm c-c-c-cold..."
Jotaro sighs and takes off his jacket, holding it out to you. "Go into the cabin and put this on. Dry your clothes on the deck when you're done."
You smile a little and walk to the door. You close the door behind you, walk down a few steps and lean against the wall. Looking around first, you bring the inside of Jotaro's jacket to your nose and inhale deeply. The scent of cigarettes, vanilla and primrose fills your lungs. You nearly feel high from the amazing scent. You strip off your soaking wet clothes until you're completely nude, giving you time to observe all your scars, some old, some new, some self-inflicted, some caused by fights, some you don't even know where they came from. You slide your arms through the long sleeves and button the jacket all the way up. You lurch forward as the boat comes to a halt. You hear some commotion outside and think about going back up, but you stop when you look through the porthole and see someone fall into the ocean. No, not just someone.
"J-J-Jotaro!!" You look through the glass and watch as the boat captain, who is apparently another Stand user, stand over him. You bang on the glass to get Jotaro's attention. When he glances over at you, you summon Onyx Sword outside of the boat's hull and shout through it. "I-I believe in y-you!! K-k-kick his ass!!"
You swear you can see Jotaro smile, which nearly distracts you from seeing the captain's Stand rocketing towards you like a torpedo. You immediately recall Onyx Sword and see Star Platinum and Jotaro, both covered in barnacles, struggle to swim up to the surface. A whirlpool begins to form, shaking the boat and causing rusted metal to creak. Jotaro begins getting cut by something too fast to see. He can't do anything. The whirlpool is beginning to blur your vision. Suddenly, everything is still. Your heart sinks when you can't tell what's happening. Realizing Jotaro is beginning to swim up to the surface, you smile brightly and rush up to the deck. When you open the door and see Jotaro wringing out his hat, you sprint over to him and leap into his arms.
"I-I-I-I was so scared..." you cry.
Jotaro rests his chin on the top of your head and lets out a sigh that moves his entire body. "I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me. Worry about yourself."

You all end up on life boats, floating in the middle of the vast, foggy ocean. You sit close to Jotaro, soaking wet clothes in your arms. It might just be the cloudy skies, but it's getting dark. Or... it might be the large, looming shadow behind you. Slowly, you turn around and look up at the monolithic freighter close behind the tiny wooden dinghy.
"Wh-wh-what the h-h-hell...?"