Chapter Nineteen-

Start from the beginning

    “What is wrong wit' you? Kissin' two girls in one night and one of them bein' a crazed bitch that Lee can't even stand, and the other bein' his sister? You an idiot, you know that?”

    “Yeah, I know. But it was literally just a quick, one second kiss. That's it. So, should I even bother bringing it up? Because it didn't mean anything, and I don't want to get into another fight. I'm getting pretty tired of falling out with him.”

    Chase leaned forward all business-like, with his lips pouted and an eyebrow arched. “A good relationship, and more importantly, friendship is one without the secrets. So you tell me what you should do.” And then he relaxed back against the pillows, smiling.

     “Uh...” I chewed the inside of my cheek.

    “Oh Jesus Christ, Jake, you tell him! Obviously!” He shouted, throwing his arms about like he'd given up on life. And when he'd settled, he murmured a sly, “Dumb ass.” under his breath.

    I scowled at him. “You sure he's gonna be okay with it?”

   “Hell no he ain't gon' be okay wit' it, but you fucked up, so you deserve whatever the hell you get.”

    “Oh thanks, Chase. You really are the greatest friend ever.”

    “Honesty is key,” he winked, grinning far too smugly.

    I rolled my eyes. “Yeah...whatever.”

                                                            *

    I left Chase laying on my bed, PS Vita back in hand. He was so focused on the damn thing, that I doubt he even noticed I'd walked out.

   I'd messaged Lee, asking him to meet me at the bridge that was our special little place. The bridge that he tried to break his fists against, the night he found out his parents had it out about his dad being a cheating bastard.

    I guess I wasn't much better than him, considering the reason I'd asked Lee to meet me, was to tell him that I'd kissed Bonnie. The worst part about it, was that it didn't even feel like cheating.

    Lee arrived at the bridge only five or so minutes after I did. His hood was up, shielding his face, and his hands were shoved in his pockets as he shouldered the light gusts of wind. He stopped beside me, propping one foot up against the wall.

    “Hey,” I muttered, barely making eye contact.

    “Hey,” he said back in almost the same tone. It was silent for a moment, and then, “just so we're clear, I have not forgiven you. Not completely. Or at all. Okay? I just can't be bothered to fight anymore. It's gotten boring.”

    I nodded weakly. “It's incredible how unsurprising it is to hear you say that.”

    Lee smiled as he dropped his head and his hood slid even further over his face. He pushed it back, leaving his hair messy and exposed to the persuasion of the chilly evening air.

    “I need to tell you something.” I began. My fingers found comfort in the pockets of my trousers. “I should have told you this the other night, but I didn't want to...” I inhaled deeply, fighting the urge to replace the truth with an easy lie. “I was afraid of losing you for good, I guess.”

    Lee cleared his throat and shifted awkwardly beside me. “Okay.”

    “So, erm, I'm just gonna come out and say it, alright?”

    “Yeah whatever, just get it over with.”

   I bit my bottom lip, trying to distract myself from the nausea that was beginning to make an appearance in the back of my throat. “I kissed Bonnie before I came round to your house the other night.”