Major Complications

Start from the beginning

I shivered. Hunter, who’s eyes were fixed on me, wrapped a warm arm around my neck and pulled me close to him, sharing some of his body heat. 

“The throne room is just down the hall.” 

“Thank you, Guard.” He started to walk off when Hunter grabbed his arm, “Prepare a warm bath and some fitting clothes for my love, won’t you?” 

“Of course my Lord,” The guard gave me a fleeting glance before Hunter pulled me away. Together we walked towards the throne room. 

“If this get’s messy,” Hunter started to say, stopping and pulling me towards him. “I want you to run.”

“Why would it get messy?” I said, attempting to act innocent. 

“People in there will take mercy on you because you’re a woman, but I don’t want to risk it. Some may be in a different mindset.” He gave me a kiss, one that said he wasn’t ready to leave me yet. 

My lips burned and I tasted flat soft drink on my tongue. It’s back! My power is back! 

“Are you?” I pulled on his shirt, trying to tempt him. He smirked at me. 

“So now you want to do this?” 

“It’ll give you confidence.” I raised an eyebrow, tempting him. I could taste the poison on my tongue, it was ready to pounce. 

“You will be the death of me, woman.” He said, kissing me again, his tongue diving deep into my mouth. By God, I hope so. 

“Alas I cannot,” He broke the kiss, “Duty calls.”  

He grabbed my hand and we walked into the throne room, all the chatter stopped. The laughter ceased and the atmosphere turned thick and unwelcoming. 

The King of the New Kingdom sat on the throne, dancers wearing thin, barely - there clothes surrounding him. The Dukes and their wives were sitting in the seats surrounding the king, and he looked down on them like meat. Before his eyes adjusted towards Hunter at the door, next to me. 

“Well, well, well...” he said, voice slurring. He’d been drinking, that’s what Hunter was hoping for. “If it isn’t Mr. Fancy Pants, I see you’ve brought me a gift. Come here, lassie.” 

Hunter’s playful gaze turned dark. “I’m not here on a social visit.” 

“Then why you here, son?” 

“To take your throne.” 

Guards in the room lunged, but the Dukes and their wives stopped them. As if wanting to help Hunter. He saw my confused gaze and smiled, “Inside job.” He murmured sweetly. Then the Dukes drew their swords, abruptly stabbed the guards through the chest and watched them stagger back. 

I gaped. 

“I’m here to take your throne, dear old friend.” Hunter’s voice was low and threatening, if I wasn’t a highly skilled assassin it may’ve scared me. 

“Your friend is brave,” the king said, adjusting his eyes to me for a moment. His gaze clouded, “And familiar.”