Chapter 24: Never Let You Go

Embry's POV

"Are you seriously kidding me?" I asked frustrated, pacing back and forth around in the Port Angeles mall.

This really couldn't be happening. I pretended to date Leah only so I could get Gabriella back and Leah could get Ethan but that plan was backfiring on us. And fast. Because we just found out that Ethan had asked Gabriella to be his girlfriend and she had agreed.

"Would you keep it down there? You're not the only one with the problem!" Leah hissed at me from the corner she was standing in.

"Way to state the obvious." I remarked, glaring at her.

"Don't go there." She warned.

Not only was I annoyed that Gabriella wasn't single anymore, it's because I had a bad feeling about Ethan. All day, I noticed that he kept staring at Gabriella and he had this creepy look in his eye that Gabriella hadn't noticed. Not to mention the goosebumps I got when I stood too close to him. But I tried to shake off the feeling, I was probably only like that because he was with my imprint instead of me.

But there was something about that guy. I just couldn't quite keep my finger on it.

"Hey," I said, turning to Leah, "let's go. There's nothing left to do. Let's just follow them home and see if we hear anything suspicious."

"Fine." She grumbled and followed me outside.

We had run to Port Angeles. Partly because I didn't want to have to get gas because I was already low on cash, but also so that we could follow Gabriella's car and just listen to them. We shed our clothes and phased. I took the lead with Leah following closely behind me. I could pick out their scent and followed the trail. But I saw something suspicious... Gabriella's dad's car was parked at the side of the road and the passenger side door was open. Okay weird, now I was getting really creeped out. Just then a blood-curdling scream rose out of the forest and I immediately noticed it as Gabriella's voice. Oh no.

Gabriella's POV

"That was awesome! But do you think they bought it?" I asked Ethan curiously, as he started to drive out of the mall's car park.

"Given the glares that Embry was giving me, yep." He replied.

"Good. But we have to think of more ways to make it realistic without it being too touchy-feely." I commented.

Ethan was silent for a few moments when I said this. What was going on? I mean, he did understand that I only saw him as a brother right?

He finally spoke up, "Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, that there's someone else out there who loves you?" he asked, his eyes glued to the road ahead.

"Not really... I mean, I don't know. I guess it never really crossed my mind." I answered. Why was he asking me this? It was starting to creep me out.

As I said this, we passed a sign which told us to make a turn to get on the road to forks. But Ethan turned the other direction, the one that led to the woods.

"Uh Ethan... you made the wrong turn. We were supposed to turn the other way." I said after a few moments of silence.

"I know." He replied simply.

"But why are we here?" I asked, getting nervous and nervous with each passing second passing while he continued to drive further and further out into the woods.

He suddenly stopped the car with a halt.

"Why did you drive us here?" I asked.

"So I could tell you how I really feel. What I've been hiding all these years. Gabriella, I love you. I've loved you ever since I turned thirteen, can't you see that? So tell me... do you love me back? I need to know, this is killing me." He asked with questioning eyes.