Disney Villain Facts

The Evil Queen from Snow White actually has a real name: QUEEN GRIMHILDE. It just SOUNDS terrifying.

Queen Grimhilde sits on a peacock throne to symbolize her extreme vanity.

The Queen was the first Disney character to ever speak in a feature-length animated movie.

Lucille LaVerne voiced both the Queen and the Evil Witch she transforms into.

She achieved the change in voice by removing her false teeth, then recording her lines.

Mother Gothel from Tangled has a dress that dates back to the Renaissance to show how old she is.

Maleficent's design was based off of the devil (her horns), bats (her collar), and medieval Czech designs illustrator Marc Davis found in his house (her flame like robes).

Maleficent's name in Sleeping Beauty the movie (she isn't named in the fairytale) comes from the Latin word maleficenta, which means "evil doing".

Tim Burton was originally supposed to direct the live action Maleficent movie.

Lady Tremaine is drawn as more realistic than the other villains in Cinderella (Lucifer the cat, her two stepdaughters) to give her a chilling effect.

Captain Hook was designed to be a comical villain and a foil for Peter Pan.

Walt Disney himself insisted Captain Hook not be killed at the end of Peter Pan because he knew the audience would take a liking to the wily character.

Gaston from Beauty and the Beast is the first male villain to appear in a Disney Princess film.

Gaston wasn't supposed to be the villain in the original version of Beauty and the Beast. That honor would have gone to a character named Marguerite, who was Belle's evil aunt. She didn't make the cut.

Additionally, the character Gaston does not exist in the original Beauty and the Beast fairytale.

In his climactic battle with the Beast, Gaston originally was supposed to yell "Time to die!" but this was deemed too graphic, and was changed to "Belle is mine!" However, you can still see him mouth this in the film.

Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel, also voiced Vanessa, the human Ursula transforms into (which makes sense, because she stole Ariel's voice).

In The Lion King, Scar's real name is Taka, which is Swahili for "Want".

Jeremy Irons blew out his voice singing "Be Prepared", so Jim Cummings (the current voice of Tigger) had to mimic his voice.

Scar makes an appearance in Hercules, which is predicted in The Lion King when Zazu says that he'd make a great Throw Rug!

Mother Gothel from Tangled is the only Disney Villain to die of old age.

Finally, Disney villains fall to their deaths- a lot.

Credit: 54 frightening facts about Disney Villains: Buzzfeed.