He did, even though there were times that he had to swallow his hurt when he sees his parents giving him more attention and love, giving him things and opportunities as much as possible. Ken wasn't an easy child growing up; he was unruly and rowdy, but he also knew that beneath all that there was also a broken heart filled with loss and grief.

So he pushed himself to understand, until it came to it that he didn't mind if his needs weren't met anymore. Sean was a fairly independent child, and his parents thought that he could stand on his own, that he could fully understand what it was like having no parents to love you.

So he learned to accept.

To give more, and to give way.

"You knew, didn't you?" he asked his dad, his voice hard.

Cheuk could only sigh. After a moment, he nodded. "He had been telling me his plans about confessing to her," he looked at him with sad eyes. "You know I can't just stop him, son. He never knew about your feelings for her, and I can't tell him to not do it just because of that."

He felt his eyes starting to burn; but he willed himself not to cry, clenching his jaw hard. "Are –are you telling me to...give way again?"

His chest clenched in pain as his father remained silent. He shook his head in defeat before he walked away.

*****

"Hey, you're five minutes late –" Kaycee completely paused as soon as she opened the passenger door and was met with a smiling face that wasn't her best friend's.

For the life of her, she felt her face heat up. "H-Hey, Ken. Didn't know you're picking us up," she said, slightly stuttering. She cleared her throat, looking away.

God, she was never even like this before.

Ken laughed as she pulled her hand and help her sit down, and just in time, Josh opened the door behind, witnessing everything and stopped himself from rolling his eyes hard.

"Where's Sean?" Kaycee asked, looking at her phone, double-checking if she missed a call or message from him.

Nothing. Just like the past two days.

"In Maine –"

"Maine? Why is he in freakin' Maine?" Kaycee exclaimed. Sean had never told her anything about going somewhere.

"Working on a project. He said he'll be out for a few days," Ken said as he focused on the road. "Didn't he tell you that?"

Kaycee slowly shook her head. Josh, on the other hand, was rolling his eyes hard at the backseat, shaking his head in disbelief. He had to give Sean some credit for being on a perfect timing to be away from his sister to mend his broken heart.

Seriously, he thought grimly.

The last time Kaycee saw her best friend was during the showcase, standing among the audience as she received her Star of the Night and NYU grant. He was the first person she wanted to find despite their tense situation that night, and by the time she went down the stage to reach him and her friends, he was nowhere to be found. Her brother told her that the guy had to hurry home because he had to do some editing for his upcoming film project.

That was the lamest excuse Kaycee could think of. So his project is more important than congratulating her and even just saying goodbye? She wanted to celebrate with him and the others, maybe completely setting aside during their dance. And then there's Ken.

"You look like total girl today, cat –ow!" Ken exclaimed, chuckling, rubbing his forearm where Kaycee had hit him.

Kaycee crossed her arms, looking away. It took her the whole weekend rummaging through her wardrobe and find something appropriate –and by appropriate, not her usual clothes – to wear to school. And when she realized she was being too conscious, she compromised, leaving her usual dark clothes and cap, and found something with color.