The Strangest Thing

Here he was. Sitting in her office. She didn't even realize it was him until he spoke and pulled her out of her trance while she was doing some paperwork. She looked up and sat back in her chair.

"Reid."

"Cal, I'm sorry about last night." He paused, unsure of whether or not he really wanted to go on. Then she remembered that it was his awkardness that made her have a crush on him. "But I never gopt a chance to explain."

She leaned forward and placed her elbows on her desk. "So you think it's a good plan to do it while we are both working?"

"Well, you probably refuse to talk to me unless you have to. And you're getting defensive now."

"Agent Reid, are you profiling me?"

"Maybe I am." He crossed one leg over the other. "I-I still like you, I do. But I guess I'm just asking you for another chance."

Dani slowly leaned forward and placed her elbows on her desk. "Listen. You're an FBI agent. I'm a cop. You go everywhere for God knows how long at a time. I'm working non-stop. If we were meant to be a thing, then God strike me with a lighting bolt now. I appreciate the conern. But we both have jobs that keep us working until butt-in-the-morning and things we wouldn't want to bring back to other person. It isn't supposed to happen."

"What about your kids?"

Instantly, Calla tensed up. "What about them?"

"Aren't they wondering why they don't have a father," Reid inquired.

Call lost it. Never before had she threatened or gotten in a colleagues face before today. However, there's a first time for everything. "You listen to me, Agent." Now she was on her feet, pointing a menacing finger at him. "You don't talk about my kids like that. Their father was killed, okay? By a guy I arrested. But if you want to live, I suggest you leave my office and go back to your team. Don't bother asking me about anyting unless it has to do with this case. Are we clear?"

Reid nodded quickly before standing and leaving, like she had instructed. Quickly after he had left, Wes came into her office.

"Should I ask? Or just pretend you didn't completely flip your shit back there," he asked.

I'd rather not talk about it. Do we have anythng new on this case? We need a break."

"We actually do. One of them picked up a witness who says she remembered something about our latest victim. No one was sure who wanted to take a round first so she's sitting in a room waiting on you."

"I'll go then." Quickly, she gathered the file together and headed through the bustle of the office towards the interoggation rooms. She stepped into one and found Agents Morgan and Hotchner.

"So we just picked this girl up?"

Morgan spoked up nnext. "Yeah. Kiara James, this girl, worked with our latest victim. There was apparently a schedule she and her friend followed and when her friend broke it, she freaked and came to us."

Calla sighed rather loudly before stepping into the room. Sitting in one of the two chairs was a girl who looked no older than 20. Her dress was of varios shades of glitter and a jacket pulled tightly around her. The girl looked petrified just sitting there. The girl then looked up and noticed Cal's entrance.

Calla slowly sat dwon across from her, file folder in front of her. "Kiara James?"

"That's me," the girl responded.

"Just clearing things up. I'm Officer Daniels. Detective, whatever you want to call me. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"

""25."

"And you knew Jordan?"

"She was only a few years older than me, but yeah, I knew her. We were roomates."

"Before we go on, what can you tell me about her?"

"She was a msart girl. Straight A's, stuff like that. She ran track like crazy. It could be 3 a.m. and she could go out and tell me that she was going running. She talked about her family all the time. Her mom and brother. Her dad passed away a couple years ago."

"When did you realize she had gone missing?"

"Well, we have this little pact, I guess. If we go home with a guy from a bar or whatever, then it's all fine and good as long as you're home the next morning. She didn't come back that morning and I decided that she was just trying to finish up some classes for the day and was gooing to be back later. When she didn't come home at all, I freaked out and called."

"What was the night she left?"

"Friday. I called the police and told her she didn't come home that night but they told me they could only do something after 48 hours. Now it's two days later and she's dead."

"I'm really sorry about Jordan. I really am. Now do you remember anything about her demeanor that night that seemed out of place or out of the ordinary? Or just plain not like her?"

"I think so. She had this big deal about not going out even a week before a track meet. And Friday night, she comes in our room am tells me that she's going out when the meet is tomorrow. So that kind of threw me for a loop."

"Did she say why she was going out?"

"I think it was over some guy she's meet pretty recently. I never got his name but she s always talking about him."

"Did she tell you were she and this guy were going to meet up?"

"This grungy bar on the other side of town, Dunaway's."

"Thank you Kiara. This could really help us out. And if you ever need anything or think of something else, feel fee to give me a call." Calla then reached in her pocket and pulled out a small business card and handed it across the table.

As both girls got up to leave, Calla went for the board room as Kiara made a beeline for the door. When Calla got to the board room, her eyes began the search for Jordan's picture. Once she found it, she picked up a black dry erase marker and wrote 'Dunaway's' under it. When she turned back around, Derek was standing in the doorway.

"So I heard you told off your boss this morning."

"Who told you," Calla demanded.

"The man himself. He was angry first, then he saw your point and agreed with you." He nodded towards Jordan's picture. "So I see you made some headway."

"This girl's best friend was in here a few minutes ago and told me this was where her friend was last supposedly seen."

"Well, let's go then. You need to have someone make sure you wot go telling everyone off."

"Fine mom." Calla rolled her eyes. "Let's go."