Welcome to the Jungle

Calla and Morgan slowly made their way through San Diego traffic down to Dunaway's Bar. With it being fairly late on a Friday night, the bar was packed with college kids and regular patrons. As the two cops slid out of their car, they garnered looks from the people outside smoking. Considering they both had guns on their belts, neither was overly surprised.

"I remember coming here all the time in my college days," Calla said, giving the building an almost nostalgic look.

"So, forever ago?"

Calla threw Derek a look and laughed. "Keep in mind you're older than me Agent Morgan."

"But we all know I'm better looking."

"Bite me, Agent."

Derek chuckled to himself. "As long as little ole' Spencer Reid doesn't beat me to it."

Calla punched Morgan playfully in the shoulder but her voice turned hard. "How did you find out about that?"

"You forget we have a technical analyst who knew you and can find out anything she wants to. But calm down. I won't bring it up."

"Thank you. It's appreciated."

Calla and Morgan were approached by a short and stocky man with a sport coat and name tag. Douche, she thought instantly. The name tag read  'Colin Xavier' and underneath it, the word 'manager'. His blue eyes raked up and down Calla as is he were about to have her for dinner. Noticing the look, Derek stepped in front of her, placing himself between the two.

Colin reached in his pocket and within his pudgy hands was a business card. "Miss, I suggest you take this in case you get lonely." 

Instinctively, Calla reached for her gun. Slowly, she took a breath and reached next to it and pulled out her badge just as Morgan showed his. The look of smugness in the manager's eyes was now replaced with slight fear.

"Listen Colin. I don't need you being a pain in my ass or you looking at me like the women you probably pay to sleep with you. So we need to step into your office, me and Agent Morgan both, so you can answer some questions."

The manager nodded and begun leading them through the bar. The smell of beer grew stronger as the got closer and closer to the back. While Colin walked ahead, Calla stayed a few steps behind him, and Morgan behind her.

"Feisty little thing now aren't we," he chuckled.

Calla simply rolled her eyes and stepped into the cramped office. Memos and bills were strewn across the desk and all shifted slightly once Colin fell into his chair. He motioned for the two cops to sit but both remained standing.

Morgan got the first words out before Calla had even opened her mouth. "Mr. Xavier, have you heard anything about the murders going on here recently?"

"Sure I have. Rumors fly through here so I here bits and pieces and make what I can of it."

"What are some of the things you've heard?"

"Just the basic 'I think so and so did it' or 'I hear the FBI have joined in on the case' or even the ever popular 'Maybe even a cop did it if the guy has been getting away with it for this long'."

"We think personally, that this guy can't hold a job. He could be spending money he doesn't have, playing off that he still has something. He could be passing through and asking for places to stay or even asking if he could sleep in the bar."

Colin shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "I have my fair share of guys passing through here asking things like that. But that doesn't make any of 'em killers."

"None of them could be killers or one of those guys could be the guy we're looking for."

Calla shifted her weight around on her feet, trying to piece words together. Her thoughts kept roaming, trying to see into this guy's life, give him the nudge that could give them life-saving information. While Derek continue his questioning, Calla walked around.

She saw phone books open and various escort services highlighted. She saw a safe and wondered what was inside. Cash probably, she thought to herself. She then looked behind the safe and saw various guns and pairs of gloves. Right as she was about to start looking into them, Colin jumped out of his seat and began yelling for her not to touch them.

Calla turned and faced him, hands behind her back and her body between him and the weapons. "Then what are they for? What are you into that you have yet to tell us Mr. Xavier?"

Derek snapped her back to attention with a stern, "Calla, that's enough."

Past that, the manager kept yelling for them to get out and not come back until they had a warrant. And even then, he wanted a lawyer. So with her shoulders slumped slightly in defeat, Calla and Derek found their way out of the bar, but not before Colin found them and yelled a single name, "Jacob Daniels."

Calla tensed instinctively at the name. Derek put a calming hand on her shoulder. "Calla, do you know him?"

"Yeah I know him."

"How? You have to use your words here honey."

"He's my brother."