Chapter 15

We turn a corner and stop to take a breath. Our backs are pressed up against the wall of the school building. I try to stay quite, but I have to gasp in order to get air back into my lungs.

There is an eerie silence surrounding us. I take in more air. Will slowly slides down the wall. His dark eyes are glazed over. If we don't get out of here soon, he might not make it.

012 still leans against me with his eyes closed. I try to support his weight with my shaking arms.

Through my bleary vision I see two figures running towards us. I try to run, but my legs turn into jelly. I fall to the ground, bringing 012 down with me. I lift my head up with the last bit of strength I have.

I almost cry in relief. A very tired Jane and Mike stand in front of us. Jane crouches down with tears in her eyes.

"You're alright," her voice is soft and comforting. I can hear her relief. This time the tears do come. They stream down my face in silence.

She helps me up while Mike starts carrying Will. We start walking when I realize that 012 has been left behind. I can see why. He almost blends in with the ground. I can barely make out his shape, but I can see the shaky rise and fall of his back as he breaths. With the little strength I have left I break away from Jane and run to 012.

I try to lift him up. I simply don't have the strength. With every shaky breath tears slip down my face.

"Come on, 012," I say as I pull his arms over my shoulder. "I didn't come this far to leave you behind."

With help from Jane we lift him up. We make a slow but steady pace back to wherever the two came from. Neither Jane or Mike have the strength to question the shaggy boy I am dragging along with me.

——

The tears have long since dried on my face. All the grim on my cheeks from the week washed off. I am left looking like a mess, but I was raised to acknowledge power over beauty.

Papa always told me that I shouldn't worry about how I look. He said he would love me if I could use my powers for him. Sometimes I dream of him, and I miss him. I miss the way he would smile when I succeeded. Or how he hugged me when I cried. It was a toxic relationship, but Papa is the only family I have ever had.

My wild thoughts are interrupted when I see our destination. A big hole in the side of the laboratory reveals the clean atmosphere of the real Hawkins. It seems so far away.

We are a few feet away when the hole starts shrinking. I can feel the panic in the air.

"Run!" Mike and Jane yell at the same time. So, we run.

We all run through the opening, but I soon find that 012 isn't with us. I look back through the small hole and see him struggling to stand up. He must have tripped. I run back through the hole before anyone can stop me.

I grab hold of 012 slender waist and help him up. We half run half trip back to the opening. It is so small we will need to crawl through. I let 012 go first. With the help of the others we get him through. With the last strength I have I dive through the narrow opening just as the entrance disappears.

We all lay on the floor of the laboratory with only silence to accompany us. We all breath heavily.

My head pounds against my skull as I fight to stay conscious. My whole body hurts, every cell burns. I can barely feel my legs. My lungs burn. Flashbacks of my time with Papa play through my head.

Yet again I feel that longing in my heart. The need to be loved, to be appreciated, and to succeed. I feel my eyelids getting heavier by the second. I know I will lose consciousness.

I find 012's hand and lace it with my own.

"I told you I would save you," my voice comes out shaky and weak. And with these last words I let myself fall into a peaceful slumber.

-geekywriter15