"I understand her. You're her most precious son." She said with a little smile.

"Stop it. She's wrong. Do you think your mom would slap me if it the situation was the opposite?"

Her smile widened. "No, my mom can't even hurt a fly."

"I'm really sorry, Jiyoo."

"Me, too." She said, "But are you okay? You're not feeling anything bad?" She asked worriedly.

I nodded with a reassuring smile. "Yeah, I'm okay. What about you? Are you hungry?"

"Why? Are you hungry?" She asked, slightly grinning.

I laughed. "Yeah,"

"Then, let's stop by for food."

We bought sandwiches and drinks but Jiyoo was only staring at hers quietly.

"Why aren't you eating?" I asked.

She immediately forced a smile. "Just lost in thoughts."

I looked down at my sandwich, weighing my next words to say. "Jiyoo."

"Hm?"

"My parents will surely sue your father. Will that be alright with you?"

She looked at me straight in the eyes. "What makes you think it won't be okay? He hurt you and Seunghyub. He came to hurt me." She swallowed hard, looking away. "He deserves it."

"Usually, he can be sentenced with a maximum of six months in prison for simple assaultㅡbut if, well, my parents... sue for aggravated assault, it can go up to twenty years. They're good lawyers. They might be able to do that."

Tears glistened in her eyes again. "My father has hurt me and my mom for years. We sent him away, but he left us nightmares. He showed up again and he hurt people I care about. Whatever punishment he gets..." She paused, wiping her tears away. "It's about time he gets it."

I reached across the table and held her hand. It pains me that she's hurting and I can't do anything to take it away.

⛄⛄

[[ JIYOO ]]

We reached my hometown by dawn. As we walked towards the old house where I used to live, my heart began racing and ugly memories flooded my head.

I stopped walking and held Changgu by the arm. "Wait," I said, sweating despite the cold weather.

He wrapped his arms around me and I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself. "You're okay. I won't let anyone hurt you." Changgu said softly.

I buried my face on his chest, staying like that for a while because I felt safe in his arms.

But then I had to face my fears. So slowly, we continued walking towards the houseㅡpast the front lawn where my father dragged me from Seunghyub's house no matter how much I begged, to the door that locked me and mom inside. I knocked twice. The door immediately opened. Mom quickly wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie." She mumbled.

I hugged her tightly and closed my eyes, taking in her familiar scent. This house isn't my home, but in my mother's arms, I'm home. "I missed you, mom." I told her.