Chapter Eleven: The Understatement of the Year

Start from the beginning

Clearing his throat, the principal straightened up in his desk chair and placed his clasped hands on his desk. "Listen. I have no idea what's going on with the two of you, but whatever it is, it has to stop. At least, on school property it does. You've gotten the whole school worked up. No one is paying attention to their classes or teachers, and I'm getting complains coming in almost ever ten minutes. People are unsettled by your sudden... 'Relationship.' To be honest it seems like you're just doing this to get attention and make trouble, and I want it to stop." Derek was gripping the arms of his chair so tightly his knuckles were turning white. Donnie hadn't seen him try this hard to keep his mouth shut before... Ever. Before the male could blow up in Gordon's face and make things go from bad to... Absolutely insanely terrible, Donnie piped up. "Mister Gordon, I don't mean to argue with you, but I don't exactly think that's fair. You and the other Staff members here hardly get on any of the straight couples cases, and they're disgusting with their PDA in the halls. It's disturbing to watch. Not to mention that they're completely uninhibited at dances... Some of the couples are practically having sex on the dance floor! How is that okay, but the two of us holding hands and kissing once before leaving to class a bad thing? We're just acting like a normal couple. Everyone else is blowing all of this out of proportion. I bet you anything that if you give this a few days, or a week at most, this'll pass. Our classmates are always making up awful rumors about each other. They're gonna find something new to complain and gossip about." Unfortunately for Gordon, Donnie was right. This was a dangerous thing to complain about, too, and everyone in the room knew it. Gordon didn't want the teachers and staff to be pegged as 'homophobic,' because that'd bring too much negative attention to the school, especially if the boys really decided to do something about this discrimination. That wasn't something they could afford, or had time to deal with.

Finally, the principal ran a hand through his thinning hair and let out a defeated sigh. "Fine. Just try to tone it down a bit, okay?" He looked to the boys for affirmation, but they just shrugged. Shaking his head, the older male muttered an annoyed 'go.' The two boys did as they were told and left the office. As soon as they were out in the short hallway of the main office, they quietly celebrated with bouncing around, pumping fists, and of course, a few victory kisses, as well. That was it, then! Everyone had to deal with their showing each other affection and their being happy together, whether they liked it or not. Sucked for them!

From there on out things seemed to be going pretty smoothly. As Donnie had suspected, the rest of the student body had gotten over their relationship pretty immediately. People still made comments every once in a while, and the two were pretty much friendless, but that didn't really matter to them. Their relationship was still new enough that they had plenty left to talk about and learn. They loved each other's company. Actually, it was a blessing to have their break, lunch and after school periods to themselves. Nothing else to bother or distract them.

This positivity in their lives was also good for Derek's grades. He was back on track with his classes, and he was taking his school work much more seriously. It still took a little positive reinforcement from Donnie, but that was to be expected. Derek was also job hunting. Staying with Donnie was great, but he felt like he was starting to be a burden on the family. Plus, Donnie's dad still wasn't too keen on the idea of the young man being around for months on end, and still didn't really care for him in general. But, at least Derek was trying to get a job, right? Donnie had already helped Derek fill out a number of applications, both online and on paper, and he was sure Derek would get called back by someone. Until then, though... They'd enjoy their time under the same roof while they could. In fact, they were enjoying it every chance they got, which, they were both learning, was a great, albeit slightly awkward endeavor. They had fun learning what each other liked and disliked and how it was to be with someone the same gender, in a more intimate setting. It was what they spent their time doing now, when they weren't doing homework or dealing with drama from school and Donnie's family.