RELIEF

The pain was too much. Almost every part of his body was paining. However, the fight was over and now everyone would stay in peace, especially those that would have been the victims of the biochemical bomb. The doctors and nurses pushed his wheelchair so fast towards the intensive care unit so as to try to save his life. Before he passed out, he heard his daughter's voice shout, "hey get out of the way, now," and then everything went into total darkness.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. His head was aching so much that it made it a difficult for him to adjust his eyes to the brightness of the room. He was in a single room, with walls painted white and white curtains which covered the two big windows. The door was painted light blue, and the floor was made of yellow tiles. Then he looked around, not sure of where he was. It was then that he noticed that there were transparent tubes attached to his body. He tried lifting up his left leg but it was too heavy. It was bandaged and was hanging from a hook attached to the bed he was lying on. Then he noticed a lady seated at the wooden desk at the far end of the room.

"Who are you?" he asked in a whisper. It was then that the lady spun around swiftly and faced me.

"Hey, dad. How are you feeling right now?"

"Terrible," he answered frankly. There was no way he could say that he felt alright, when almost every organ of his body was aching. Scarlett was his one and only child. She was always at his side whenever he had a problem. Actually there was a time that she had even tried helping him to look for a girlfriend after his wife died in an accident. However, it was up to earlier that day that he realized it was no accident that took his wife's life.

"Wait a minute, dad. I'll call the doctor. He said that I should call him soon after you wake up," she said and hurriedly stormed out of the room. She came back a little while later with a middle-aged man wearing a white, long coat, which reminded me of my days at the medical lab in the military camp.

"Good evening, Mr.Davis. My name is Doctor Steve, and I will be attending to you until you recover."I watched him as he changed the tubes and injected me with a drug I couldn't make out. He appeared surprised that I didn't even wince at the needle's effect, but he almost forgot that the pain in my body was worse that the needle. Then he gently removed the needle and rubbed my forearm with an antibacterial drug.

Then he turned to Scarlett and told her, "I'm sorry, but you won't be able to speak with him now. You will have to wait until tomorrow. I have administered to him a drug which will make him doze off moments from now. It will help him to have more time to rest and by tomorrow some pain will have gone."

"It will be of no use, ma'am. He will doze off mid-sentence because the drug is so..." the doctor tried to make her understand, but Davis cut him short.

"Let her speak to me, please. She needs to..."as the doctor had said, Davis' voice trailed off before he could finish his statement.

"I told you," the doctor said.

"I only hope that you didn't harm him," Scarlett said, giving him a stern look, which told him almost everything he was to expect if anything bad happened to her dad.

***

AM I FOLLOWED?

Davis woke up at 5.00 am as was his wont and started jogging. Today he didn't jog towards the lake as was usual. He wanted to go a new way today and so he changed course and at the junction, he turned right instead of left. He continued jogging for almost twenty minutes, when he sensed that he was being followed. He stopped, took out his phone and pretended to speak to someone on the phone.