Chapter Fourteen

When I arrived at Father's office, I found George seething quietly in the corner. He had learned about my arrangements for the repair the Masons' roof, and Father's nod of approval only compounded his anger. "Well done, Lucas. It is better for something to be done before it is too late. There may be hope for you yet."

The complement left me feeling hollow, and I didn't have anything else to say on the subject. "How is Mama today?" I asked, bracing myself for a scolding about being responsible for her relapse. She had been sleeping when I went to her, and so I took the risk of asking my father.

Once again, Father surprised me. "She seemed a bit improved," he said, sounding genuinely pleased. "Philippa took up flowers to her this morning and brightened the room. You know how women are about those things."

George still had his arms crossed and a grim expression on his face. It seemed it would take some time for him to cease being irritated that I had acted without his permission. I tapped the desk to attract his attention. "Will you and Rosamund be joining us to dine with the Ramseys tonight?"

Immediately, George sent an anxious glance at the clock. "Yes. In fact, we should all get ready to go. Rosamund will have our heads if we are late."

"You boys enjoy yourselves tonight," Father said with a fond smile. "Philippa has already sent my regrets as I believe an evening with your mother is in order. Every moment I can spend with her is important now. George, you make sure Lucas behaves himself."

"I'm not sure anyone is up to such a weighty responsibility," George said. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. "He's never listened to me before and don't think he's about to start now. Luke will do what he wants when he wants no matter what anyone says."

There would have been no use in denying it, and I held my tongue. I walked out of the office ahead of him. No matter what he said, I knew I had done what was best for the estate and for one brief moment I had my father's approval. As far as I was concerned, it had been a good day.

Taking the steps two at a time, I headed up upstairs. I could hear Philippa chatting away with her maid in her room as I went past and it made me smile. The oak door that stood at the threshold of Rosamund's room did not block the sound of my sister-in-law's shouting. Flinching, I quickened my steps until I was well away and felt sorry for whoever was unfortunate enough to be my sister-in-law's maid.

Knowing I would not need hours to get ready for dinner, I settled into a chair in my room and began reading.

****

I was in the middle of tying my cravat when there was a loud knock on my door. "Yes?" I said, keeping my eyes on my mirror. The door opened, and Philippa stuck her head in. "What's wrong, Philly? Am I keeping Rosamund waiting?"

"Yes, you are," my sister said, rolling her eyes. "She insists she has important things to discuss with Mrs. Ramsey and the Williamson girls. Are you ready now or do you want us to go ahead?"

For a moment, I considered. I refused to let Rosamund put me on a timetable that regularly changed and only she was in charge of. "I think I would prefer to walk over. Express my sincerest regrets to her, if you please."

"I will not lie for you, Luke. Just make sure you're not late. There's nothing a girl hates more than her beau to be being late."

It seemed ridiculous that to be late was what a girl would hate the most. I could think of at least half a dozen different actions that would be worse. I just laughed at Philippa as she closed the door, leaving me to finish dressing.

Ten minutes later, I was satisfied with my appearance. I made my way down to the hall where Butler had my hat and cane waiting. "Don't wait up for me, Butler," I said cheerfully. "I might be out late."