Chapter Four

After a mostly sleepless night, I finally gave up trying when dawn came. What point was there to lie about in bed? I dressed and made my way to the stable, detouring through the kitchen to alarm the cook by snatching some bread to stave off my hunger. The morning air was crisp, and I breathed it in, enjoying the scent of hay and feed.

The grooms and stable boys were already hard at work. I nodded at them as I passed, intent on reaching my destination. "Hello, old boy," I said when I reached Phaeton's stall. My horse bobbed his head in answer and nudged my arm, no doubt searching for some treat. "Did you miss me?"

All I got in answer was a huff of horse breath to my face when I bent to lean my forehead against his. Laughing, I patted his neck and fed him a small carrot that had also made its way into my pocket when I had gone through the kitchen. Phaeton crunched it as I collected my riding tack.

"I can do it, Master Lucas." One of the older grooms, the man who had taught me to ride, attempted to intercept me.

"I prefer to do it myself, this one time, Geoff," I said with a smile. "You have duties to see to this early in the day, and I don't want to wait. I've been away from Phaeton too long, and I want to run him."

With reluctance, Geoff stepped back but remained nearby, watching as I saddled Phaeton. "It was a bad day when Mrs. Bywood fell," he finally said.

My attention caught, I glanced over my shoulder. Finally, someone who could give me some answers to the questions I had. "What can you tell me about what happened, Geoff? I know Mama is too good a rider to be caught off guard by a hole in the ground."

The groom nodded, his expression grave. "She is. Mrs. Bywood went out riding, as was her habit. I went about my own business, and a few minutes after she left, I heard the screaming. We all ran to find out what had happened. The mistress had only gotten as far as the road, and she was trapped under Sprite."

Sadly, I could imagine what it must have sounded like. I had heard the anguished screams of horses injured before and knew I would remember the bone-chilling sound to my dying day. The thought of Mama's cries of pain being added to those of Sprite's made me shudder. I was sincerely glad I hadn't heard it.

"I sent John to get the doctor and Roddy to get Mr. Bywood while the rest of us got the mistress free," Geoff continued, his voice troubled. "We got the mistress home in a cart, but there was nothing we could do for Sprite. The only thing to be done was put her out of her misery."

"What aren't you telling me, Geoff?" It felt like everyone I had spoken to since I stepped foot on the estate was trying to protect me from something. "Did you see the hole?"

Geoff nodded. "I tried to tell Mr. Bywood about the hole, but he wouldn't listen. It wasn't natural and placed right where Mrs. Bywood always jumps. She wouldn't have seen it when she approached the gate, and she wouldn't have been able to avoid it once she was in the air."

"Someone dug a hole deliberately?" I demanded, horrified at the thought. Who would do such a thing to Mother? "You are certain of this?"

"When I went back to have a second look and collect Sprite's body, the hole was filled."

Phaeton bumped his head against my shoulder, impatient for us to be on our way. Reaching back to pat his neck, I considered what I had just learned. "My father didn't believe you?" I guessed. Since Father had said it was an accident, I already knew the answer to the question. Geoff's nod merely confirmed it. "No one else noticed?"

"If they had, maybe Mr. Bywood would have believed me."

Taking a deep breath, I reached over to clap him on the shoulder. "I believe you." How well I knew the value of hearing those words from someone! "Thank you for telling me, Geoff. I will do my best to discover who did it."