Prologue

Pain.

Countless jolts of pain are running throughout my body, continuously giving me goosebumps and chills. The massive wound on my forehead is severely bleeding, the blood dripped down my eyelids and cheek along with the tears. I held in the gasps and heavy breaths so much my throat stung, and my chest hurts like someone was stabbing it with a knife. With my hand applying pressure on my rib cage, I grabbed the door handle and make it a leverage to stand up, my legs shivering like I was outside in winter. Trying with my own life to not making any noises, I peeked through the little hole on the door to take a view of the living room.

No one was outside, luckily. I was still safe. But I couldn't help myself from descending to the floor once more, and have my arms wrapped around my body to find warmth. Sobbing quietly, I thought about my parents and friends who was trapped outside, their lives hanging on a string with a hungry tiger ambushing underneath, waiting to snatch them down their its throat. God helped me to find this house which doors unlocked and I was so close from being captured by one of them. The Prom Queens. They all wore this black dresses and go around killing people with knives and only knives. They were just little girls! They were supposed to run around with dolls on their hands and think naive, happy thoughts! Instead, they kill everyone, nonetheless children, men, women, seniors.

They arrived as quick and as random like a hurricane. Just a few hours ago, people were so happy preparing candies, costumes and children ran across the streets to play Trick or Treat. Then one person was killed. Then two. Then three. Then all at once.

Shakily, I shoved my hand in my left pocket and pulled my phone out, planned to call 911. Strangely, there were no reception and even my phone's battery were full, the phone kept glitching and auto turned off. Phones were useless. I couldn't get any help if I kept staying here, waiting for some knight in shining armour to come and help, or for them to track me down and finish me off. Knowing that I could be the last one standing, and the fact that my boyfriend, family and friends are all in this town, all being targeted gives me no more purposes on living. But when your life is ending, all your surviving instinct will rise fully and you only one task left: Stay alive. Following that instinct, I made myself up and checked the living room. Still clear.

Pushing the door open with a twist of the handle, I tackled forward and in the kitchen. The illuminated kitchen looked more terrifying than ever with the blood stains on the floor and the red lights were shimming over the sharp knives on the shelves. Hiding under the massive round wooden Scandinavian dining table, I took a glance of the scenery outside the window.

It was horrifying.

Cars burning into shreds, cracking flames raising from the pavements and roads up to the sky, carrying toxic dark smokes that blocked most of the view. Dead people were scattered on the streets, their eyes showed no more sign of a battle of survival within. And of course, there were desperate survivors. The living ones were running with their own lives across the roads, and were helpless. They wanted to find some place to hide but there were none. Most houses and stores are burnt down by the Prom Queens, now it's a sea of flames. It's just a matter of time before the fire surrounds this entire neighbourhood and prevent everyone from escaping.

My stomach churned as a little girl came to the view. Lowering my head so I won't be discovered, I noticed she was wearing this same white mask with a tiara on her head, and a black dress stained with blood hanging on her fragile looked body. She was one of them. The girl was holding a chainsaw in one hand and a torch in an another. The latter obviously would be used to torn down some buildings.

Breathing rapidly, I crawled across the room and snatched a knife and a small gun in one of the drawers. Shakily and cautiously, I crawled back to safety then continued to look out the window. What I saw almost gave me a heart attack.