Chapter 6: IDENTITY REVEALED

Red Crandall

This morning, I'm still so worried. I didn't get much sleep! I kept having horrible nightmares. In some, I was being chased by a family of zombies through the manor house, in others, I was the Bartholy's meal. This food thing is really getting to me. All the little details I've put together is making me reflect on the nature of my hosts. And on the darkness surrounding them. I see Sarah coming to meet me. She looks more rested than I am. It's not very surprising considering...

"Hey, Red! Hi! So how was your night?"

Great! I rummaged through the trash and then I didn't sleep a wink all night!

"I really have to talk to you. I've been dying to since yesterday!"

"What's going on? You seem very excited!"

"You'll never believe me..." I'm touch and Sarah realizes it. My lack of sleep added to my worries, have an effect on my mood.

"I have a rather open mind in general."

In this case, I doubt it. I don't know how to admit to her that I was wrong. It's not easy.
I finally take the plunge. I know she'll be relieved, if not delighted, to see me on her side.

"I should have listened to you..." No sooner are these words pronounced, Sarah turns as white as a ghost and asks me immediately, panicked:

"What happened? Are you all right?"

"To be honest, no! I didn't sleep at all last night."

"Shit... Why?"

"I argued with Lorie again, that kid is a nightmare."

"After all, she takes after her brothers!" It's true, maybe. I'm sceptical about Peter and Drogo being brothers, but I'm practically certain that Lorie is Drogo's little sister. We quietly walk across the campus, to get to our first class of the day.

"She never eats anything, not even a slice of bread."

"I told you so."

"Certainly, but you weren't specific. You only made allusions."

"I thought it was enough for you to read between the lines. I was warning you."

"Sarah, I know. I don't need your lectures, ok? I feel troubled enough as it is."

Sarah softens a bit, I can't tell she's angry. I continue, ignoring Sarah's aggressive attitude. Anyway, I need to talk to someone about it to clear my thoughts.

"They don't eat. You were right about that. It struck me yesterday, and I was overcome by doubt. So I went to check the garbage containers, there were a lot of bags closed and stained with blood not to mention there was an unbearable smell."

"How horrible! I was far from imagining that!"

"But you told me..."

"I especially told you in several occasions that you should leave that place and be careful, but you didn't listen to me!" I thought she'd be glad to see that I agree with her. I was wrong. On the contrary, she's even more suspicious than before. Just my luck!

"And what about Lorie? I don't know what to do..."

"What about Lorie?"

"She's totally bad! If it were only her ghoulish games, I could tell myself that she just needs good therapy! But yesterday she pushed me and threw me to the ground with such force, as strong as an adult!" Sarah frowns but doesn't answer. I hesitate to mention the episode with the mirror, but I'm afraid to sound crazy. In the end, unable to get the idea of my head. I decide to tell her everything.