Chapter 37 - Risen in Deed!

Start from the beginning

We had come upon a neighboring tomb; standing in it's stairwell, when I too could see one of the guards. He had his back to us, as he watched another throwing pebbles at the stone that stood in front of the mouth of the grave.

[Come out, come out, wherever you are?] He giggled as the voices of his comrades chided his silly behavior.

[Are you guys taking this watch or just wanna throw rocks at a dead man?]

[You wanna stay?]

[Shut up, we've already been here 6 hours.]

[Does he snore?]

[What?]

[Who..... him, or me?]

[No, he's talking about the dead guy.]

One of the other guards just shook his head as he began to pick up pebbles and hurl them back at his comrades. An all out pebble war was about to erupt when they suddenly stopped. Helina and I only looked at each other, for we could hear it too. It was that all too familiar sound of a freight train; just before the big one hits!

We stood clinging to the rocks of the tomb we were hiding near, when the ground began to holler - Let's Rumble!

"It's Party TIME!" I exclaimed as the first thought that popped into my head suddenly slipped out.

At this point it seemed nearly pitch black and I struggled with all my strength to remain where I stood, so I could witness the greatest event in history.

I watched the soldiers trip and stumble, while the violent shaking rocked the entire mount. We both screamed; for a loud crack burst in our ears and a blinding streak of lightening flashed out of heaven. I struggled to get to my feet, but my legs were shaking so badly I couldn't stand up. I was trembling all over, as I tried to crawl around the other side of this tomb. Helina was laying on the ground in front of me; unconscious. I rested my forehead on her shoulder a moment or two, since I also felt like I was about to pass out.

The earthquake subsided and I looked up. I could hear what sounded like singing? Maybe I was hallucinating and my ears were still ringing from the incredible crack, sizzle boom the lightening had displayed. I questioned as I peered into the sky. I could see faint stars through this brilliant light glowing out from everywhere. What is that and where is it coming from? I questioned as I tried to get up. I couldn't move very well. All I managed to do was roll onto my side, while I continued to gaze heavenward for some indication as to what was actually going on?

The singing is getting louder? I questioned, for I could hear what sounded like a man's voice howling through the still air. Is that pain or... ??? I puzzled a moment as the blinding light began to subside. Several moments had breathed their silent gasp when I noticed someone carrying at torch run past us. I picked my head up and swung around. Right in the path, paused the silhouette of a young man towered over by a strong stern bright faced figure.

[Cephas.] He spoke in a deep whisper as he held his hands out. [Your cloak.]

The young man quickly removed his outer layer and handed it to the figure; who slowly turned and almost gliding, descended the steps of the tomb. The bright glow faded to nothingness when I noticed another figure venturing toward the burning of the young man's torch. Wrapped in the cloak he'd just handed to the angel; stood a shivering form in bare feet and straggly hair.

[Praise ...the ...Lord.] He whispered. [He... is... risen.]

[Risen in deed.] Answered.... Jesus.    

I slowly climbed to my feet in stunned shock. The two turned toward me as I crept out of the rocks from the adjacent tomb. I tip toed in gingerly little hops over unconscious Roman soldiers, never for a moment taking my eyes off the form before me.

Behind Him, the mouth of the cave stood open like a giant monster now dead and devoid of it's power to swallow me up. Sin and death had been conquered and now all that was left was this empty grave. I realized as my thoughts flashed between it and this innocent, vulnerable,... sweaty... quietly giggling in joyful excitement; incarnate expression of God's goodness and love. I put my hand up to my face as I quietly giggled my response. Yes, that tomb was black as charcoal and though I could see nothing in this chilly night air; I realized that blackness was actually a good sign. The fire of hell on my behalf; had been extinguished.

Suddenly, after all this time; the only Scripture verses I could manage to remember came flooding through my thoughts like the song who's wispy melody still vibrated in the air around us.

I am the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys.  

As the lily among the thorns, so is my love among the daughters.

As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons.

I sat down under his shadow with great delight and his fruit was sweet to my taste.

He brought me to the banqueting house and his banner over me was love.

Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples; for I am sick of love.

His left hand is under my head and his right hand does embrace me.

I charge you, Oh daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes and by the hinds in the field; that you not stir or awaken my love until he please.

The voice of my beloved; behold he comes, leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.

My beloved is like a roe or a young hart; behold, he stands behind our wall.

He looks forth at the windows showing himself though the lattice.

My beloved spoke and said to me:

Rise up my love, my fair one and come away.

For, lo the winter is past, the rain is over and gone.

The flowers appear on the earth.

The time of singing has come and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

The fig tree puts forth her green fig, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell.

Arise my love, my fair one and come away.

Oh my dove, that is in the cleft of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs; let me see your countenance.

Let me hear your voice, for sweet is your voice and your countenance is comely.

Take us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vines; for our vines have tender grapes.

My beloved is mine and I am his; he feeds me among the lilies.

Until the day break and the shadows flee away; turn my beloved, and be like a roe or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether.   

And with that; shivering hands and a still, gentle giddiness, He turned away and hopped and jumped, cuddling the cloak snuggly around His naked body, spun in a circle and began skipping up the path in His victory dance over death.   

Young Cephas, the cemetery caretaker's son only looked at me, shrugged, cracked a smile and ran after Him. 

Like a chapter it's written well, give it a star so I can tell.

Critiques and comments I'll take a review, but if ya just want to read - that's OK too.