Chapter 5

Nae’s directions, which were written in neat cursive with her name at the top of the lined paper, led Vincent and I to a club that was located near Broadway and was built for the nightlife. The neon lights pointed in many different directions and bounced off of the black, marble floors. We went down a set of maybe only six stairs that matched the floor to reach the main level. The club was congested with large groups of every different person that one could imagine. It was a large room that was filled with neon pink and green, circular tables, and almost all of them were occupied except for one table that was about three meters from the stage. Nae was the first act out of ten that were to perform.

“Quite the crowd,” Vincent mused when we took the last table. “Nae must be good.”

Three of the singers came from behind the curtain to adjust their microphones, Nae being one of them. The other acts seemed as if they were at least five years older than Nae, but she drew the most attention. Her brown hair was thinly curled and was brightened by the lights. She was wearing a maroon v-neck with a black undergarment under it to prevent from showing anything, and her outfit also included a flowing, black skirt that seemed to reach just above her knees.

I felt Vincent’s eyes on my as I looked at Nae, and before I could stop him, he yelled, “Nae!”

Nae looked up from her microphone and her dark eyes lit up. “Hi,” she mouthed as she waved in my direction.

I could feel a smile that probably looked quite awkward come across my face as I waved at her. Before I was able to say something to her, she vanished behind the red curtain.

~~~

At was ten minutes past seven PM when the owner of the club had everyone settle down. He appeared to be nothing except bone and copper skin, thin, black hair put in a slick ponytail. His brown eyes were glassy and his grey t-shirt and jeans hung off of his body. He seemed to be one of my father’s clients seeking extra special products.

“Alright!” he said in a tone that felt cheery enough. Vincent leaned back in his chair. “My name’s Rick,” the owner kept speaking. “and we have a very pretty young lady about to join us for two songs.”

I quietly cursed in my native tongue at the way he spoke of her.

“Here’s our first act, Nae Anderson!”

So that is her surname.

I smacked my hands together in a bit too much excitement when I clapped, and I glanced over at Vincent for a second to see him give be a smirk. My eyebrows raised at him as a challenge and he looked back at the stage with a small chuckle.

Nae walked on stage with confidence, the slight heels in her sandals clicking against the marble floor of the stage. She ran a hand through her curled hair as she took a seat at the white, grand piano. A loud crack rang through the room when she popped her knuckles, and she then started to play.

She began by using just a single finger on the key that produced the highest note, pressing it six times before moving all ten of her fingers across the piano. I was able to see from where I was seating how her fingers moved so swiftly across the entire keyboard, and I noticed the hard, focused expression that replaced the calm and relaxed expression that was normally on her face. The music was light, the notes rapidly changing from highest to the lowest. Something about her music seemed to paralyze everyone in the room, bringing any other possible sounds to a complete mute. And for the three or so minutes that Nae played the music of an angel, I felt like I was floating on a cloud. My hands covering my mouth as my elbows were leaning against the table, I had no logical thoughts to express.

I returned back to reality when Vincent grabbed my shoulders and shook me until I nearly jumped out of my skin, which was tingling in apprehension. My hands were moist when I put them together and looked at Vincent. “That vas-”