The Fight is On

Konichiwa, readers. Hey, it took me a few months, but here it is at last. This chapter will be a third person POV from Grandrom. Since Leafa is not leveled up enough yet, I thought it only sensible to have her watch from the sidelines, but I had to have some close up and personal action in here, so this made the most sense to me. I hope you enjoy.

       "Alright! Listen up, people!" yelled Grandrom, putting his armored hands on a table near the middle of the room with a clatter. He had everyone's attention instantly, including the little green lady that stood at his side, her look of determination adamant as she scanned the room of faces. He glanced sidelong at her before summoning a Mirage Sphere and activating it in the center of the table.

      A holographic 3D image of the monster was displayed, no bigger than a player. "Okay, this is the monster. The forum said we'd have a 'strategy meeting', but there isn't much to say here since we know nothing about this boss save it's name; the Frigald. Because of this disadvantage, and since this seems to be a one-time deal to save the town, we have to approach this cautiously; figure out its moveset first so we can attack with minimal casualties. We can't afford to res anyone out here without more resources. However, I think we can assume that fire attacks will be at least somewhat effective, so all Salamanders here will be a great help." Some grumbles assailed him, muted in an instant by his glare. "In addition, because of it's size and level, long-ranged attacks will be essential. Every backline mage should place wards for the people in the air. All that said, I believe we should go about it just like any other boss."

       There was some scattered mumbling around the room, but most were still listening intently. "Obviously every boss has its weakness, so all we need to do is find it, and exploit it. Therefore, I suggest that anyone with an agility of forty or more take a flight formation with backup players around the creature, switching out every few minutes while looking for its weak spot. You will all dodge only, is that clear?"

      "Why should we take orders from you?" sneered one of the Spriggans from his shaded corner. Grandrom's golden eyes glared in his direction. Purple eyes stared back.

     "Because, Spriggan, I'm Grandrom Nifelhammer! Captain of the Darkalf Dreadwork's elite military wing, and Slayer of Midgard Serpent! I'm level eighty-eight with full ancient class armor and the obsidian-mithril hammer Forgast. Name for me a man or woman in this room that is more suited to this position than I, dark-one." He challenged the smaller black figure to utter a word, but the fairy only scoffed quietly and turned to his drink.

      "Now," continued Grandrom, noting both the wonderment in the eyes of his blonde companion, and the whispers of amazement from the crowd before him, "remember you agility-users, dodge only. Furthermore, we need to wear this thing down at least, or maybe just kill it outright, so I want the standard back line of heavy magic-users prioritizing warding spells. Fire spells are the preferable damage, but whatever you're good at except ice should be fine. We'll compensate you for your current store of mana potions, so don't be afraid to give it all you've got. If your agility or magic isn't high enough, do not fear; I want a defensive line directly in the path of the monster a few kilometers in front of the village. Players with shields and anyone with fortification magic are encouraged to be front and center. Myself and those under my command will be stationed there, as the bulk of you probably will. This is essentially a timed boss raid, unheard of in Alfheim. Like this, we will wear down the enemy with damaging magic, keep it from getting to the village, and find out its weak spot so we can take it down! Are we all in agreement?!"

      A booming shout answered him. He examined the room once more, proud to see many players hyped and itching for combat. Oh, I get it, thought the gnome, I bet this is the Devs giving players excitement in the game. Suddenly unleashing a never-before seen overworld boss on a city; what a great way to rustle up the community. He looked to Leafa to see her smiling with admiration at him, and he gave her a wink before grinning wide and raising his hammer high. "For the Damned!" The crowed raised their weapons with him.

     "For the Damned!"

***

      Grandrom stood at the front of the defensive line, the cold wind tousling his long brown hair and sprinkling it with flecks of white. He gazed upward silently as a long, low rumbling roar came from the forest ahead, combined with the sound of trees being torn from their roots and tossed aside. Even for him, it was bone-chilling to wait for.

      Slowly, Grandrom tilted his head up until he saw the looming head of the great beast beginning to near. It seemed not to walk, but to glide somehow over the ground, creating a constant earthquake in the ground. He figured then that everyone should be in the air, since their legs would be of little use. He rolled his shoulder, his arm a bit sore from how often he used his hammer.

     Wish I could put it down for once in this game. It almost seems like all there is to do is fighting. He sighed, taking a look back at the little village now covered in an unbecoming layer of snow and ice. He marveled that ice had formed so quickly, instantly glad of the layer of cold-protection his mages had given the army.

      The army... He looked over his company. A dozen noble champions of the Darkalf Dreadworks elite military stood at the ready before a mass of players at most ten times that. About right for a level 60 raid, but not nearly enough. Bosses scale so hardcore in this game, I'm sure this thing needs one-hundred and eighty at least...but this will have to do.

      "Alright, everyone, prepare for battle! We engage in three minutes!" Shouts rang out as fairies got into position: Mages perched on a hill for height, with a score of tanks just in front, flying low above the ground. Grandrom smiled as a rainbow of fairy wings took to the skies above him, nearly fifty strong and armed to the teeth, with the golden-brown wings of his people in the lead. A small group split to form the supports, readying wards and healing spells. He squinted, spying a single pair of dark wings in their ranks, and a gleam of purple eyes. He...I have a bad feeling about him...

      Hoping for the best, he opening his wings joined his regiment, brandishing his hammer as he let his blood finally boil with the joy of war. He clapped his fellow gnomes on the shoulders, and when he got to the last – a young woman with glasses and short hair who held a spell book – he took her aside.

      "Hemmonar, I need you to be the scribe." he commanded.

      "Oh come on, I'm always the scribe on your missions!" the younger fairy complained, folding her arms.

      "Hey look, it's good experience," said Grandrom, smiling, "and you're the only one on the team still needing to pass the Co-op Event Trials."

      "Maybe I would be better if you actually let me fight from time to time, eh?"

      "Maybe I would let you fight if you actually listened to orders. Eh?" he smirked. "Come on, Ayeka." The smaller fairy scowled for a moment, then grinned and tapped him on the arm.

      "Fine, but you're buying next time." Grandrom grunted acknowledgment as his partner flew into position, glad for a good friend at his back. His hammer on his shoulder, and an army behind, he felt invincible. Then the monster finally emerged fully from the forest.

      Or rather, the forest surrendered to it, utterly demolished by waves of dark, pulsating roots that rent the ground, bulging under the earth until it split like ripe fruit. The ground became a river of crawling roots, grasping at anything that got in the way of the huge trunk they escorted. Enthroned in ancient, grey wood was a massive Scots Pine, at least thirty feet in diameter at the base, and four times as high. Branches thick as trucks waved and shivered as the beast approached, every inch of them covered in sharp needles like teeth. The monster's face was a jagged wrenching of the wood into a mouth, and two gaps where red light shone as eyes.

      The Frigald bellowed, an icy gust that froze the land before it instantly and sent shudders through the whole army. Four health bars appeared next to it, indicating it had been aggro-ed. Only four health bars, maybe it's not as high a level as the admins thought. He heaved his hammer and with a mighty warcry he flew towards the creature, feeling the force of the charging multitude just behind.