"Thank you," she replied. "I can take them from here."

Regina looked with recognition upon the familiar face of Professor McGonagall. She seemed to carry more lines of care on her face. The Professor led them into a wide entrance hall. She saw torches lit with fire on the walls of the castle. The ceiling was high. Then, the Professor led them into a small chamber just beyond.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall spoke. "The start-of-term banquet is about to begin. However, before you sit with the rest of the students, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because while you are here, your House will be your family while you are here at Hogwarts. You will take classes with your House. You will sleep in your House dormitory. You will spend your free time – wisely mind you – in your House Common Room.

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you stay here at school, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rules you break will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup. This is a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Professor McGonagall quickly moved out of the room and left leaving all the first years alone. There was a little jostling and bumping into each other. Regina sniffed when a dirty blonde boy – soaking wet from his fall into Black Lake bumped into her.

"Excuse me – " she said with complete disdain.

A nice looking athletic young man stood next to her. "I wonder if there is a house for him."

She shrugged. "One never knows. He's uncouth enough for Gryffindor."

That got several chuckles from her friends and her tall new friend. He was about to tell her his name when a shriek from that same soaked boy startled even her. She let out a breath. "It is just ghosts –" she said.

"Gh –" he stammered, "Ghosts?"

Suddenly, they flew in through the back wall, white and opaque. They glided having probably what was the usual conversation for them.

"I hope we have a few of you in Hufflepuff," the Fat Fryar said.

The ghosts were gone shortly, as the door in front burst open and the commanding voice of Professor McGonagall spoke. "Time to come in for the Sorting Ceremony." She moved them into a straight line. "Follow me, first years."

Regina smoothly and confidently moved forward – the first one out of the small room.

Even though Regina had been through this before, the effect was quite amazing. There were candles all around her, lighting the room up brightly. The tables were filled with fancy golden plates and bejeweled glasses. At the front of the hall was a long table where all the other adult teachers were sitting. She saw the long line of students staring at them. With a moment of nostalgia, she looked over at Gryffindor. She almost made eye contact with Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Ginny Weasley.

Then, where Professor McGonagall had gone was a four-legged stool. On top of the stool she placed a pointed wizard's hat. This hat looked old and frayed. It looked like it could sit on his father's head in the barn.

All the students were staring at the hat, apparently something was about to happen. Then, the rip in the hat began to move and opened into a mouth, and it started to sing: