"Who are you?" the portrait said.

Griphook motioned to Harry and had him step forward. "This is Harry Potter, the godson of Sirius Black and the grandson of Dorea Black Potter. He has inherited this house at the passing of your grandson.

The woman looked intently at Harry, but Griphook made a silent motion that put the woman to sleep and then he covered the portrait up. When that was done, he turned to Harry, "Your Godfather gave us instructions on how to deal with that portrait. They were left in that box for you. Make sure you take the time to read them. The portrait is as unpleasant as the woman was in real life."

Griphook led Harry further along the hallway to a dining room, which featured a dresser holding the Black family crest and china. At the end of the hallway there were stairs to the upper floors and they were decorated with a row of shrunken house-elf heads mounted on the wall on plaques. The dining room also contained a long wooden table with chairs and hanging light fixtures.

Griphook led Harry through the dining room and below to the kitchen. He accessed it through a narrow staircase at the end of the entry hallway. The kitchen was a cavernous room with a large fireplace at one end and a large wooden table in the center with chairs on either side. Suddenly, a house elf came out of a small room connected there.

The elf had a bulbous, snout-like nose, bloodshot eyes, many folds of skin, and white hair growing out of his bat-like ears.

"Kreacher – " Griphook said in greeting.

"Yes," he said with searching eyes. "What is going on here?"

"I am here to introduce you to your new Master, Mr. Harry Potter." Griphook said.

"No!" the elf growled. "I was so certain that I would default to my rightful Mistress, Miss Belatrix Lestrange."

Griphook turned to Harry. "Now, it is up to you, Mr. Potter. You need to give the elf an order. If you don't, then what he wishes will come to pass. You will have troubles if you do not claim this elf. I can guarantee it."

"I will never work for such a filthy Muggle loving –" Kreacher started.

But Harry wasn't feeling patient. "Shut up –" he said.

Kreacher's sentence stopped instantly.

Harry looked at the elf and the house around him for a minute. The makings of an idea came to him. "Kreacher, clean up the kitchen and Sirius Black's bedroom. I will be arriving here later today."

Kreacher glared at Harry, but was unable to refuse the order. He popped as he went away to do his work.

"Be careful with that one, boy," Griphook said. "He will twist your words in whatever way he seems fit."

Then, he grabbed Harry's arm. "We have just a few more items to finish with at the bank."

Harry nodded, and let Griphook take him by portkey back to Gringotts.

When they returned to the same meeting room at Gringotts, Griphook had Harry sit down. He handed a folder with papers inside to Harry.

"I, Sirius Black, of Number 12 Grimmauld Place, being of sound mind and body do name Harry James Potter, my heir.

I leave Mr. Harry James Potter all the contents of the Black Family Vault. This includes every jewel, weapon, book, and of course all my galleons.

Griphook seemed to know exactly where Harry was in the letter, because he added. "Mr. Black's vault currently contains $2,562,357,210 Galleons."

Then, Harry continued reading: "I also give Mr. Harry James Potter ownership of the Black estate Number 12 Grimmauld Place."

After reading it, Harry asked. "Could I make a withdrawal from the Black vault?"

Griphook nodded. "Of course. There are no limits here as there are in the Potter vault. No one will know either." He showed a conspiratorial smile as Harry looked at him. He nodded. "Let's do it."

Harry withdrew about ten thousand galleons and then used the Portkey that Gringotts had given him to return back to Number 4 Privet Drive. It was night time and the Dursley were watching television. Uncle Vernon did not seem to hear the pop or notice anything unusual at this point.

"Where have you been, boy?" Aunt Petunia screeched.

Harry had thought to respond. "I was outside, and I fell out of the tree," but before he could Uncle Vernon shouted at him.

"Go up to bed, boy. There will be no supper for you."

Harry shrugged and headed upstairs. He had plans. Thanks to Griphook, he had an extra magic wand in his pocket that didn't have the trace and he could pick the lock in the cupboard. He wasn't staying another minute at Number 4 Privet Drive if he didn't have to. He was running away. He walked quietly up the stairs and went into his bedroom and looked out the window. He smiled when he heard the lumbering up the stairs from Uncle Vernon and the locking of the door. He knew he wouldn't be interfered with. He got his chest and everything he owned. He put it into the chest and dressed for a trip out. Then, he waited.

Two hours later as the sound of Uncle Vernon's snoring floated through the house, Harry shrunk his trunk and snuck down the stairs. Another swish of the wand had the cupboard open. He grabbed all his books and his second trunk. Then, he took out his invisibility cloak and put it on. Then, he opened the back door of Number 4 Privet Drive and left suburbia and the Dursleys forever.