+ + + +

The next day, Harry worked through his tasks as quickly and as thoroughly as possible, but when it seemed that Aunt Petunia would give him little respite despite all the work he had done, he took a quick bathroom break and took the key out of his pocket. Then at 4pm exactly, the portkey activated and he felt that familiar pull from his navel as the portkey took him away. Then he found himself in a large marble meeting room.

Sitting at a chair at the end of a long table was the goblin, Griphook. He had helped Harry with his finances many times before. He stood up at Harry's entry.

"Greetings, Mister Potter –" he said.

"Thank you, Master Goblin," Harry replied. "May your gold increase," Harry said. He was sure that more was usually given for that line, but he was young and just a little frightened. Griphook seemed to appreciate the gesture.

'We have some business to attend to, Mr. Potter," he said. "Please have a seat next to me."

There was a ledger along with a box with a few items in it.

"Before we begin," Griphook exclaimed, "Let me again offer you my condolences on your loss. The Goblin nation knows how much you have gone through and also about Mr. Black's innocence, and we will do whatever we can to help you."

Harry was speechless. He never had anyone offer him sympathy or such an open invitation to help.

"Thank you, Sir – " Harry replied. "Why don't we just get down to business?"

"Of course –" Griphook said motioning for Harry to sit down next to him.

"You may not be aware Mr. Potter, but your Godfather named you as the heir to the Black family." He waited as Harry heard these words. "This means that you inherit the vaults that are beneath us in the name of Black. They shall be assumed into the Potter vaults on the day you turn seventeen. Until then, we will keep them separate. You gain the Black residence, Number 12 Grimmauld Place, along with its House Elf, Kreacher. You also gain all other Black heirlooms and every item found in the house."

Harry tried his best to let this sink in. He had a home. But he wasn't sure he wanted to live in it alone. He also wasn't sure if Dumbledore would want him to leave the Dursleys – not while he was underage. But at the moment, he was tempted.

"It is important that we go to this house immediately, Mr. Potter," Griphook continued. "If you do not claim the house and the elf and all its possessions, the Black house will be inherited by another."

"Who?" Harry asked.

The Goblin replied, "That would be Draco Malfoy. He is a Black through his mother, Narcissa. Narcissa Malfoy nee' Black was your Godfather's cousin."

Harry remembered just how intermarried the purebloods of the wizarding world really were. He felt so lost and unsure. Did he really need a house? Did he want to enslave another elf? He didn't know. But he knew one thing. He couldn't let Draco have all that money and all that went with that house.

"When do we leave?" Harry asked.

Griphook, took another key out of the box at the table. "Take my hand, and we will take this portkey there immediately."

Harry reached over and held the key along with Griphook. "Portus," Griphook said, and Harry felt that pull at his navel as he suddenly found himself in a dark and forbidding home.

Harry and Griphook stood in a long dark hallway. Griphook started to walk forward and as he did a large chandelier lit up above. Harry moved to follow Griphook as they walked through the house. As they walked they came to a large imposing portrait. It was a life-sized portrait of an old stern looking woman. There were some red moth-eaten velvet curtains, and between them was the picture of the woman.