Chapter-26

''Kajal, come soon the movie is about to begin'' Tarun called her out from his room where he had made the perfect arrangement for a horror show. Kajal blinked entering the pitch dark room, Tarun had covered the windows with news papers and curtains preventing any light from entering the room, ''Come in and close the door.'' He said

''If I close the door how will walk in the dark?'' She asked. He huffed and switched on the lights. She giggled looking at the arrangements. He had sealed all the entrance other than the door and had placed cushions on the bed in every direction, ''What's that for?'' She asked pointing towards the cushions

''That's to prevent any kind of accident out of fear.'' He replied feeling content about his arrangement

Kajal shook her head and sat next to him , pulling a pillow in her lap. Tarun quickly pressed the play button and then switched off the lights. She couldn't help but smile watching his child like excitement. They both had started interacting like friends and never bought up the divorce part.

Kajal watched the movie but without any trace of fear, Tarun tried scaring her at times but she showed no reaction disappointing him. Somewhere around the climax scene, where the priest performed the exorcism on the protagonist little girl, Kajal found Tarun completely engrossed. The back ground score too had turned scary and all close camera shots added to it horror effect. Through the dim light of screen she could see Tarun chewing his nails, she smiled. Leaning more on the head board she slowly extended her hand onto the side table to grab the first thing. To her luck, she caught hold of a small show piece making minimal sound. As the movie reached its peak, and the possessed girl spoke in the voice of the devil twisting her limbs in all directions, Tarun watched with his mouth slightly open. Kajal slowly lifted the show piece and rubbed it along the length of his arm. Tarun screamed and fell off the bed as Kajal doubled up in laughter, ''So much for your preventive measure.'' She pointed out that his pillows couldn't save him from landing on the floor.

Tarun watched her with wide eyes and madly beating heart, ''That arrangement was to keep you safe.'' He replied sitting up, supporting his body on his hands

Kajal stretched her body lying on her tummy, she placed her chin on the cushion of her hands and looked into his eyes, ''So you care''

''I do...and I always have cared about you.'' He replied rubbing the region of impact. She moved closer and took him by surprise placing a peck on cheek, letting her lips linger there for more than required. Tarun pulled her back before she could retreat, they stared at each other in the minimal available light enjoying the darkness more than ever.

A sudden scream from the movie made the couple scream all the way louder and next minute there was the sound of the door bell. They quickly moved out tumbling over one another to answer the door. The couple was surprised to find their neighbors at the door looking worried, ''Are you guys fine? We heard you screaming.''

''We actually were watching a horror movie, Kajal got scared and jumped on me making me scream in return.'' Tarun replied keeping a straight face as Kajal stared at him dumb found.

The neighbors gave the young couple teasing smiles before going back to their respective apartments. Tarun kept his smile under control as he locked the door, he slowly turned to find Kajal staring at him, ''What?''

''Why did you lie about me getting scared, when it was actually you?''

He smiled, ''revenge for pulling that prank on me.'' Her jaw dropped, as he walked back to his room his chin lifted high. Tarun made himself comfortable on the bed , moving his eyes to Kajal he added, ''Just imagine everyone in our building giving you teasing smiles about this adventure.''