“I’m sorry,” I spoke, “I-I’m just worried, that’s all.” I lied straight out, that gnawing feeling of hatred within me practically tearing at the seams, angry that I wouldn’t tell my saviour the truth.

“It’s okay,” Tim sheepishly grinned at me, “we don’t have to go up-” I cut him off with my hand.

“Yes we do.” I needed to do something; I wanted to keep my mind occupied, away from him. Gripping Tim’s hand I led him back into the alleyway.

Sneaking into The Shard would be hard but it was exactly what I needed, a distraction.

Pulling my hood up, we headed of towards the dirt ridden dustbin at the back of the alley, which was oh so coincidently under an open window. Our footsteps were light as we finally reached the tin full of unwanted garbage.

“You first.” Tim slyly smiled, pointing towards the window. Snorting, I knew exactly why I had to go first.

“You just want to look at my butt.” I laughed, before hoisting myself up onto the bin and trying to gain some balance, the light sound of chatter reached my ears. I looked down at Tim, panic in my eyes and silently lifted my finger to my lips; he nodded, understanding my indication that we had to be quiet.

Lifting my hands to the edge of the window I made sure I had a strong grip before using all my strength to pull myself up. My chest scraped against the building before finally I managed to get my knees onto the windows ledge. Letting out a quick breath I stuck my head into The Shard.

The hallway was completely empty. The small voices I heard must have walked past by now, oblivious to the fact that two eighteen years olds were about to commit one massive crime.

Clambering over as quietly as possible, I landed with a muffled thump. Sending a quick thumbs up out the window giving Tim the all clear, I headed into the deserted hallway.

I suppose sneaking into a glass building with lovely shiny floors was a stupid idea, but what made it worse, I was wearing my noisy shoes. You know, the ones that squeak at every chance they get, creating a teeth-clenching friction that sends shivers into your body. Yes, those ones.

My shoes amplified the loudest sound they could muster.

“Crap.” I whispered before beginning to mumble profanities to myself. The sound of shouts echoed around. “Double crap.” I groaned before taking off away from the heavy footsteps, which seemed to be running in my direction.

I rounded many corners, sliding around them and at one point almost toppling over a mop that had been left leaning against a wall. I could hear the guards getting closer every time, I hoped they hadn’t caught Tim.

Oh dear God I forgot Tim.

Groaning, I jumped around another corner almost letting out a squeal as I came to a sudden halt. Two security guards clad in white shirts and black trousers stood, backs facing me, a mere metre away. If I made a single sound they would turn around, grab me and then send me to jail.

I was too young to go to jail.

Frantically I looked around, my heart almost jumping out my chest as I spotted an unmarked door hidden behind a wet floor sign. Gleaming I tiptoed over there, careful to avoid the water which lay under the yellow piece of plastic. Gratifyingly as I reached out to turn the doors handle it clicked open without much sound, finally something was going right.

“Get back here!” a voice bellowed in the distance. I shot open the door and flung myself inside, no clue to what was hidden within its depths. The door shut with a bang, but I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard the guard’s footsteps run past.