Chapter Six

Am I doing this?

Am I doing this?

Am I actually freaking doing this?

Those insane thoughts were the only sentences my brain could conjure up as I stared towards the night’s sky, its view blocked by a ginormous glass building, or should I say, The Shard.

I remember passing this abnormally large structure frequently, never stopping to take in just how tall it actually was. I watched them build it, fascinated with the large cranes and diggers, the bulky glass windows and the mass amount of concrete they poured into this beautiful architecture. 

I never once thought I’d be trying to break into it.

“You are for real, aren’t you?” I squeaked as my eyes drifted towards Tim, who just happened to be currently lifting his hood onto his fluffy blonde hair, hair I wouldn’t mind running my hands through. Blushing at the ridiculous thought I just had, I listened as he answered.

“Of course, pull your hood up.” He directed, before quickly disappearing into a nearby alleyway. I just stared after him; mouth dropped open, most probably hoping to catch some flies.

Well, my stomach was rumbling.

He was made, completely and utterly mad. I thought he was innocent. I thought he was a cute, introverted, kind of guy. Not a freaking dare devil who likes to break into, most probably, a very well guarded piece of London. He was nuts. He was of his rocker, he was-

I screeched.

My heart began throbbing as a dark figure emerged directly in front of me, their dark outline overtaking any other site, their unknown breath merging with my heavy breathing, only an inch apart.

“Rayne,” Tim’s voice whispers as a soft hand covered my mouth, his eyes finally protruding out of the dark figure, wide and glistening. He was trying to tell me to be quiet. “Please keep it down.” Rolling my eyes, I slapped out and hit him in he arm, he let go of me immediately with sigh.

“Don’t do that,” I hissed at him, the way he appeared was all too similar to him, and I was trying to forget him. “You scared me half to death.” I shot out, anger lingering in my voice, my eyes darting back and forth between his glowing orbs. My brain was on high alert now, I couldn’t seem to get the image of a dark figure away, it was too similar to the ocean, to similar to the dark that overtook my eyes when I was only five years old, drowning in the cold water.

My body began violently shaking, my teeth chattering, echoing around the empty space outside of The Shard. Two fingers clicked in front of my eyes, but my brain ignored them, all I could hear was the laugh.

His laugh.

I began shaking harder, my whole body swaying back and forth, my eyes were wide trying to draw in as much light as I could, I hated the dark. I probably looked possessed, crazy…insane.

Rayne, Rayne, Rayne.

“Rayne!” A hard voice snapped me out. My face was cradled between to hands, Tim’s hands. I began to realise that it wasn’t me shaking; it was Tim, rocking us back and forth, comforting me. He was counting, one, two, one, two, my breathing began to follow the numbers, in at one, out at two.

Finally my heart rate fluttered down to normal, my body calm as it soaked up Tim’s heat, our arms and legs tangled together as he glued me back together, whispering encouraging words.

“It’s okay, it’s okay.”

No it’s not, no it’s not.

Ignoring the negative side of my brain I nodded, slowly retracting from his embrace I planted a smile on my face.