The next day Black trained (Y/n) as promised.

The first week would be focused on their physical strength. Training their body to the farthest they could go and recover. Running laps around the small island, holding their breath underwater, and then finally fighting one on one with Black.

The running was easy, honestly- (Y/n) had thought they would have had a hard time with this training but it went by easy for them. In the past they had a hard time running for long amounts of time, but the training Pearl had done with them had helped, but now after running around the island twenty-nine times is when they realized something.

"I'm... not out of breath." (Y/n) had said to themselves. Black claps from his seat and slowly stands up.

"Finally realized it, huh?" Black said as he crossed his arms. He had changed out of his old clothing form and changed into a simple black sleeveless top. Tight on his skin and the cloth stopped at his ends, the side cut and stopped at his waist, causing his shirt to swing between his legs, covering his crotch along with his black pants. A golden trim popping out against his dark appearance.

"Don't be a smart ass." (Y/n) glared at him, the seven foot man shrugged and unfolded his arms.

"You aren't out of breath because you're half gem, like your brother." He said.

"But Steven has gotten out of breath-" (Y/n) began but was cut off by Black.

"I've seen the kid and honestly, I can see why he is." Black began but he was flung a few feet away from where he was standing. Landing on the ground with a hard thug and his body impacting the ground leaving behind a cater three feet deep.

"Keep him out of your mouth. Got it?" (Y/n) glared at the foreign giant. He only looks back up at them from his place on the ground and nods. Wiping off dirt from his shoulder and piece of grass staining his form. But he couldn't let such a small creature land a hard hit on him.

"Let's move onto the last step. Shall we?" He suggested as he got into a fighting stance, his arms held up to the sides of his head, with his knees bent. (Y/n) stares at the giant man before them, in shock and wondering where he had gotten the audacity to jump from the beginning to the last step.

"Are you insane?!" (Y/n) shouted. "I can't even control my powers- I don't even know what powers I have. And you wanna fight me?... again!?" They shouted as they took a step towards the mineral who was ready to pounce on them.

"You are a human trained by a gem, no?" Black asked, (Y/n) paused but nodded. Recalling the numerous times Pearl had taken (Y/n) to an abandoned battle arena. Showing them how to use a bow and arrow, and when Pearl and Amethyst were on the rare good terms they would fuse into Opal. Who absolutely loved having one on two times with them. Pearl would have them running laps and ballet to help them be more limber and flexible. It was thanks to the long hours and endless nights that (Y/n) was able to fight alongside the gems, much to Garnets' dismay. The fusion didn't like having (Y/n) in such danger but knew they wouldn't change their mind. (Y/n) was grateful for the work put into them.

"Yes, but... God dammit!" (Y/n) shouted, flinging their arms up and letting them fall to their side, as they fell back onto the ground- their face faced up. Black raised a brow at them and slowly stood out of his stance, walking over to the human and took a seat behind them. Only now noticing how truly tiny they were compared to him. "This is so confusing..."

"How so? You've been given gem powers and yet you are still human." Black said.

"But that's the thing, I'm human- not anymore." (Y/n) said reaching up to their face and gently touching right below their eye. Hinting at a big change of their eye color. Once (e/c), now a bright neon pink. "And I'm not truly a gem. Thank god... but I feel like if I do return to my family- they'll think differently of me. They'll see me as... a monster." (Y/n) sighed and shut their eyes.

Black watched the far off look forming in (Y/n)'s eyes. The stare in the distance that showed a hint of fear and regret. Black looks away and up and at the sky, seeing the blue shade out into orange, pinks, and blacks. The stars replacing the clouds.

"If that is what is scaring you, then you have little trust in those crystal gems." Black said, not bothering to look at the human next to him, who was giving him a death glare. But they didn't say anything, because deep down- they knew Black had a point. They knew for a while they had grown to not trust the gems as much as they should. Garnet wouldn't tell (Y/n) unless it was absolutely necessary, Amethyst didn't care enough to tell them anything, and Pearl... she kept secrets to feel more important. It was harsh to think that, (Y/n) knew that but it was true, who knows how many secrets she was hiding to either keep Steven and (Y/n) from harm or to feel closer to the long gone Rose.

"... it's messed up, but I think the only people I can really trust are my brother and maybe... you?" (Y/n) stretched out the last word as they looked over to the Obsidian man. He didn't move from his place but didn't look over to them either. Instead they nodded as they watched the moon slowly slide across the sky. (Y/n) didn't even notice it was already midnight. That's how relaxed they were with Black even though he pissed them off fifty percent of the time.