Chapter 1

After a long year of suffering, I still don't believe about what happened to our family. I'm eighteen years old now and I'm still fighting for this helly warfare.

I am situated in this bench, patiently, waiting for my friend Bella Leighton - a blonde, pristine girl who is so friendly. Her hair is straight and not even a single hair out of place. She is very elite but she never used her power to make other people follow her will. She is so kind especially with me. She became my best friend since I moved here.

"Kenzie," she called. "Let's go to the bar, my boyfriend's waiting."

She wears a white fit jeans and paired with pink off shouldered dress that would show her well formed, gorgeous body. While, here am I with a slim fit jacket, inside of it was a pale blue sleeveless shirt that I bought in the bazaar a week ago.

I know I belong in the lower middle income class, but I'm trying to fit in with my friends in order for me to make myself comfortable with them.

"Well shall," I stood up and followed her.

It's going to be the end of the semester this week so we're going to be free from all stress that our studies had brought to us. This calls for a party anytime soon.

We went to a not so famous bar where her boyfriend is always staying after class.

As we entered the bar, the loud sound of a fast upbeat music and irritating voices of the crowd booms in my ears that would make my lips curl onto side. I hate bars, actually.

We went to the counter where her boyfriend sat down, drinking some champagne along with his friend Bridge Anderson.

"Hey baby," Jasper said as he saw us walking towards their direction.

Jasper is an elite kid like Bella. Growing up with his busy parents on their businesses, he never felt his parent's love and attention to him. I felt pity at the same time envy because even if his parents aren't giving him attention, at least he had a complete family. I can say he's handsome. He is tall. A perfect man with his brown curl hair and a pair of tinkling silver eyes.

When we finally get there they both kissed at each other while me and Bridge is starting to feel awkward.

This is Bridge is a cute guy and with the built of his body I can really say he's hot. His black auburn shines as the neon colored lights on the bar reflects to it. His hazel eyes tinkles as he looks at me and released a smile then look down. He's been courting me since sophomore but until this day, I had never answered yes to him that's why every time our eyes meet we both feel awkward. He is my classmate since freshmen. I don't know what have I done to him but he's irritating me every time he asks me something - especially dating.

I sat down on the vacant seat beside Bridge and ordered a tequila and take a sip to it.

"Ken...Kenzie," he called me.

"Yes." I answered with a disgruntled voice as I put my gaze at him.

"Can I take you home after this?"

"No. It's okay," I say "You don't need to. I have my own wheels. And in fact, I can drive myself home." I assured giving him a wicked grin and roll my eyes.

I am so annoyed. He is not the guy I dreamed of. And I'll never answer yes to him.

"Oh, please McKenzie." He insisted. "I promise, I'm not drunk."

I watched him distastefully.

"I don't care, Bridge." I speak as my voice raised a little louder but it won't distract the crowds attention because the upbeat music is too loud. "Just leave me alone, okay?!"

He closed his eyes painfully then, give an urgent shake of his head. I don't know why I felt so annoyed when he's around and talking to me. I don't want to tell him some foul words but he just gives me the reason to tell him so.

I hurriedly pick up my phone as I felt it's vibration on my pocket. The screen flashes a message from my mom. She is telling me not to forget my little sister's medicine before going home. My eyes widened after reading the message. I hurriedly drank the tequila and told Bella that I need to go home. She agreed and I need to say goodbye to her.

But here is Bridge, still insisting to persuade me home but I refused. I hop on my car and went to the nearest drug store on the city. After I bought the medicine McKenna needs, I went home afterwards. McKenna is sick and she haven't gone to school since last week. She is a sophomore now and she is aiming to be an honor student but until she is sick, she can't go to school not unless she'll be feeling well.

Going home, I passed by the old mansion and I can't help but to gazed my sight at it. I remembered the last time I saw a ghost of a girl the first time we moved to our grandmother's house here on South Carolina because of the stupidity of my dad that lead them to divorce.

I was at my third grade that time, thirteen years ago. We were passing by the road, then I saw a mansion outside the window of our van at the left side of the way. I found myself shivering as I was looking into it. My hair at the end of my head seems standing up the corners.

The mansion is too old and it looks creepy. All of a sudden, I saw an unknown lady on the mansion's gatepost. Brown dusts covered her white long dress created by the car's engine and the dusty road. Blood was splattered along her dress. Her long hair drops in front of her face that would interrupt her from looking forward. Her skin was so pale. After a moment, she lifts up her head I saw her eyes on me with the reluctant smile on her lips where blood also drips from it.

As I blink momentarily, she was gone. I gaze my sight outside again but I failed to find her.

But I was shocked when I saw her in front of me on the van's window. I scream and shout. Just so I thought, my eyes flickers and she was gone, the second time. My mom got angry with me after I told her what I saw and she insisted that I was the only one scaring myself.

I don't know if I would believe her but I think what I saw is true. There is really something on that old mansion but I just shrugged it away.

I'm McKenzie Brussel. I am not that beautiful, but I can say I have a face to show. I'm only a simple girl with a low class status. A blonde girl.

I got trouble with my story especially when it comes with my parents. Mom and Dad divorced when Mom finds out that she is just the second wife and the real wife of my Dad is mom's best friend. My grandmother is dead a long time ago so when my parents separated, Mom decided to live here. How I wish I could strike Dad with a sharp knife when I knew about it. He wants us to be with him but we choose to be with mom. I hate Dad. I will always hate him after what he had done.

Now, I don't want to think about the things saw on that old mansion ever again. Perhaps, it's not true and after all those years, I haven't saw it again and now I believe that it's only my stupid brain's imagination.

I as go back to the reality, I am far away and I was surprised when I saw a little girl with her doll on my side mirror standing beside the gatepost of the mansion.

***

Thank you for reading this book.
Please vote and comment if you love this chapter and let me know your thoughts.
I'll be happy if you would follow me on this site and talk with me.
Lots of love, people!

***Jay