Chapter 11

The downpour outside was so symbolic to Alfred. The thunder, the lightning and the sound of rain signified every bit of chaos he was feeling in himself. Constantly struggling to free himself, he was getting tired. At seventy years of age, he could only do so much. He sat there breathing, his heart pounding. Craning his neck, he could see the man standing there, looking out into the rain. He seemed to be waiting for something. For Bruce?

"Where have you brought me?"

There was a period of silence so pronounced that Alfred was sure he wasn't going to get a reply. Then, the man answered. "Make some guesses, Mr.Pennyworth!"

Alfred looked around the room with only the light of moon and lightning to guide him. It looked like some building that was still being constructed. But there was shades of destruction too. It was more like being re-constructed out of ruins. There were several rooms along the corridor from what Alfred could see. Similar rooms. The smell of alcohol...cement...

"Gotham General Hospital?" Alfred gasped, uncertain.

"On point, Mr. Pennyworth. Yes, It is the Gotham General." The man was now standing before Alfred and his towering physique made him look intimidating. "The same Gotham General the Joker blew up."

Alfred was still unsure why they were here. He kept scowling at the man. "What did my master do to you that made you hate him so badly? Why do you want to destroy him?"

Amid the sound of the rain, footsteps echoed around the room as the man came and knelt down before Alfred, his face directly in front of Alfred's. Alfred noticed a rough stubble covering the man's chin. A scar ran down the side of his forehead and connected with his right eye. The lightning flashed and with a gasp, Alfred saw that the right eye was bionic.

"I was working in the Marines, Mr. Pennyworth. I have seen a couple of battles and wars. One of them cost me an eye." He absently pointed at his bionic one. "Soon enough, through my experience, I learnt an important lesson." His mouth curved into a lopsided smile. "When there is a crisis, you ACT. Instantly. Failure to act, standing in a state of neutrality will cost you not just your life...but the life of others as well."

Alfred looked confused, his eyes still probing the man's scar that seemed to have been from a deep knife.

"You don't understand why I said that? Let me tell you some more. Your Master, the so called 'The Dark Knight' of Gotham was good at everything. He saved lives, inspired people and helped the cops. But when there was a crisis, he failed to act."

His voice tightened with emotion. "And that cost me everything." There was a profound silence again. The sound of rainfall, the thunder and lightning failed to fill that inexplicable void that existed in the room.

And then they heard a sound outside in the corridor, a glass shattering and a smooth thud. Silence followed by a resounding thunder.

The lopsided grin was back on the man's face. "Looks like The Dark Knight has arrived! If you will excuse me, Mr.Pennyworth." He forced a gag onto Alfred's mouth with strong firm hands, turned towards the oil drums and flicked a remote to set the timer to ten minutes.

He turned on his heel and left the room with a bang.

Alfred's heart was banging against his ribs so hard that he was sure it was going to break. The gag was a suffocating him.

Bruce? Is that really you? Are you alive?

Alfred looked at the drums.

9:58 ... 9:57... 9:56 ...