Chapter 43- Defiance

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Lonnie," she smiles and heads over to the bed where I'm laying.

I wave my hand unsteadily as she nears me and I sit up, giving her a hug. When we break away, Janet perches on the edge of the bed.

"How are you?" I shrug a shoulder and try to mask the tears that are surfacing. She pulls me back into a hug and I slowly start to cry.

"I'm terrible. Okay? Nothing is going right, nothing."

"That can't all be true. I mean, you still have my brother."

Her unaware statement makes me weep deeply. She rubs my back frantically.

"Lonnie, I'm sorry. Was it something I said?"

I shake my head and break the hug. "No.. it's fine. You don't know."

"I don't know what?" I continue shaking my head, not wanting to think of anything.

"Alright, that's it." She says. I glance at her. What?

"Pull yourself together, girl, we're going out. Get ready."

"But Janet, I really don't feel like it," I sigh.

"Exactly! You can't mope around in Self-Pity City. Where will that get you? You just need to break out and feel free. You're all cooped up in her Lon. And I'm not making light of the situation. But you need to get up and out," She grips my arm and pulls me up and out of bed.

"Up! Go shower, get all pretty, and meet me downstairs."

Without a meet second left to disagree, she forces me into the bathroom and shuts the door with a smile.

Looks like I'm going out.

Ten minutes later, I'm out of the shower and drying my hair. I don't dry it very often, because I know it will become weaker and duller with every dry.

Then, I braid it down my back and start lotioning myself with Shea butter. After that I go to my closet and dress myself up in white jeans and a grey sweater, since temperatures are dropping as September goes along.

I put some lip gloss on my lips, no other makeup, and lace up my trusty black boots. I then grab my silver cross body and rush down the steps to where Janet is sitting tight.

She must've heard my quick stomps because she comes over to the stairwell.

"Well, don't you look cute," She smiles as I come down the stairs.

"Thanks, girl, so where are we going?"

"I know a little cafe just south of here. No one really goes to it, so it's pretty private."

"Okay, let's go."

Then we walk out the door, my mind still, and always on Michael.

~

I take a sip of my Espresso and set it down. Janet is currently trying to pry the problem out of me.

"Tell me what's happening Lonnie. I want to know and help."

I take a long drink of the Espresso, still stalling, and then distance it from my mouth.

"I think... I think that Michael is cheating on me."

"Hell no, not the Mike I know," she immediately defends her brother.

"Trust me. I don't want to believe it either.."

Then I spill everything to her, what has led me to believe that he's cheating.

"He wouldn't even let me go with him to the studio," I tell her.

"Then let's go there."

"But Janet. If he didn't want me to be there--"

"Then he may be suppressing something, I hate to admit. Bad things are kept in the dark. Let's go find out what it is."

This potential rebellion doesn't sit well with me. Janet breaks me from my thoughts.

"Lon, you're still debating whether we should go? Here's the answer: we should. Here's some advice.. You can't be a little sweet girl all the time. Now is your chance to be a strong woman. You deserve to know what Michael is doing. He is your boyfriend, and you suspect something."

"I know, I'm just scared," I say quietly.

"Of?"

"What if he is cheating? Then I literally have no one on this earth. I'm afraid of being completely alone." I bring this confession to the light.

Janet outstretches her hand to me with a small smile. "Well, now, you have me."

We get up from the cafe and walk to her car. Then we go inside and speed off to the studio, while I nervously gulp the rest of my Espresso in the passenger's seat.

--

Chapter 43

Vote

Comment

Share

~Joy ✌️