[ s a m a t o k i ]

the midnight call
[reader's point of view]

•••

It's really late now so I head to bed after taking a bathroom break. While doing some light stretches, my phone began ringing from the bedside table. I reached over to my phone and checked the caller ID; It was a random number. Now who would be calling me at midnight?

I decided to answer the call because of my curiosity. Unfortunately, I could only hear footsteps and and a shaky breath. Just who is this?

"Hello?", I finally spoke.

As soon as I talked, the sound of footsteps echoing were gone. It seems like the person stopped walking.

I held the phone closer and spoke once more, "Hello?"

There was a short moment of silence until a deep husky voice responded. "Sis? This is Samatoki."

Samatoki? I never heard of him.

"Huh? I'm sorry bu-"

"I miss you, sis."

My sentence was cut short when he muttered those words. He sounded...sad. A few seconds later, he began talking again.

"It's been three months since I last called you. I'm sorry.", He apologized.

I heard a soft thud during the call. It seems like this Samatoki guy sat on his on his bed or something.

He cleared his throat, getting my attention, and said "Jyuuto and I got into a fight today so we ended up landing punches on each other. I tried acting tough the whole but man, he sure can land a punch. That shit actually hurts."

He lets out a soft chuckle as if he was remembering the scenario of their fight. I was quiet the whole time. I don't even know what to say to him. I just can't hang up on him. I'll feel bad.

"Sis? Why aren't you talking? Are you sleepy?"

Should I act like his sister so that he'll feel better? I guess I should that.

"Hey..."

Realization suddenly hit me. I don't know what his sister is like. So I guess I should tell him that he called a random number. Yeah...I don't want to lie to him and make him feel worse. I change my mind.

Samatoki hummed, "What is it?"

I tightened the gripped on my phone and took a few deep breaths. Okay, here I go. "I'm not your sister."

Silence.

There was just silence for a few minutes.

"Samatoki?", I softly called out.

"Who are you then?"

I distanced my phone from my face and exhaled rather loudly. Afterwards, I brought it back to my ear and properly responded to the man.

"Sorry for not telling you soon. My name is Y/N."

Samatoki then laughed softly at the other end. Confused, I decided to ask him what was funny.

"Uh, Why are you laughing? Did I say something funny?"

He just continued laughing. Even his laugh sounded quite deep. Seconds later, it became quiet all over again.

"How cute.", he whispered ever so softly.

"What?", I said loudly. I don't really understand what was cute about that but I do believe that I'm currently blushing right now. I'm such a shallow person, huh?

"Y/N, right?", He asked, "I'm sorry for calling you around this time. I must've misdialed."

I nodded my head understandingly as if he'd see me do that.

He continued, "She actually never picks up so I felt happy when you answered my call. Thank you for that short moment of happiness."

For some reason, something's telling me that he has a sad smile plastered on his face. I don't even know this guy but I don't want him to feel sad.

"I'm going to hang up now. Sorry for disturbing you.", He said.

"Wait! Don't!", I yelled to my phone.

My eyes grew larger upon realizing what I had just done. I threw my phone on the bed and began screaming on my pillow. That was embarrassing. I can't believe that I just said that to a stranger. I must be really clingy.

I picked up my phone once more and held it back to my ear. All I could hear was Samatoki calling out to me.

"Hello? You still there? Are you alright?"

He kept repeating those words and I just couldn't help but sigh. I just wish that he could talk to his sister again

I cleared my throat, "I'm sorry. I'm here."

"Hey, I know you dialed a wrong number but I want you to know that I could always lend you an ear, you know.", I reassuringly informed him.

"Is that so? Why should I do that then?", He quizzically asked.

"Because it's better to confide in a complete stranger. I just want you to feel better. That's all."

I sure hope that I didn't give him a weird first impression. I just want to help him out. Also, this is like the second time that there was silence. Did he finally hung up?

"You're interesting, Y/N. ", He replied, "Then I look forward to calling you again some time soon. Good night."

Those are the last words he said before hanging up. I glanced at my alarm and realized that it was fifteen minutes past midnight.

I just met someone knew today. I wonder how he looks like.