Epilogue

Orlina, John, and Flynn covered the box with the sheet, turned out the light, and climbed, one by one, out into the shed. Somehow, after all of the strangeness she had seen that day, the odd contents of the upper level seemed reassuringly normal. When they stepped outside and the sun was again shining, Orlina breathed a sigh of relief. Flynn caught her eye and smiled.

When the friends had climbed into John's car, John turned to them and said, "So, there's really no chance you squares are coming to the senior party?"

"No," said Orlina and Flynn in unison.

"Let's just lay low," said Flynn.

"Flynn Goldman," said Orlina, "I like your thinking. Let's get pizza and rewatch Marvel movies."

Flynn grinned. "Orlina Halfon, I must say I agree."

John threw his hands in the air. "I'm outvoted," he said as he started the car. "Well, I guess I can live with that."

The three friends drove off, leaving old Kent's strange shed behind them. As for Kent himself, he stood just outside his front door, a smile playing on his wizened features. When the teens' car was out of sight, he retreated back into his house.

If you were standing near enough, you might have heard him say, "By Jove, Candace, it worked."

Thanks for reading!