When the men left, Cecilia let her daughter walk them out.

"Wait for me here," Laventry said to Marina. "I'm only going to Jamaica, and when I get back here, you and I will plan your first expedition. What say you, pearl?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow too," she replied, ignoring her men's surprise. "Find me north of Tiburon Point on your way back. I'll be at the Gulf, waiting for your news."

"The Guanaba Gulf? There's nothing there!"

"Exactly. I need to complete my crew, and I want a few days to see what the newcomers are made of."

Harry laughed. "Spoken like a captain, pearl!" He saw the girl's face and hurried to add, "Because that's what you are, of course."

"Let's go, brother. Before your big mouth gets you in more trouble." Laventry turned to Marina. "At the Gulf in two days."

"Three."

"You're letting me stay the night in Port Royal? I like you, pearl."

They chuckled and the corsair pointed at his own cheek, which Marina kissed.

The other three let the corsairs go ahead to the taverns and faced Marina with questioning looks.

She flashed a tight smile. "Spread the word, gentlemen. We're going back to the sea."

Maxó opened his mouth, and Morris' elbow sinking between his ribs wasn't enough to keep him quiet. "So soon?" he complained.

Marina's cold reply took them all aback. "You're welcome to stay behind, old wolf. I'm setting sail tomorrow with the sunset tide. But I don't want anybody onboard against their will."

"We're needing experienced men for the rigging, pearl," De Neill said, trying to clear the air, but Maxó's outraged scowl didn't wane.

"I know. You help Morris pick the newcomers." Marina smiled at Morris, anticipating him. "De Neill will explain it to you. Send word to Pierre, Bones and Briand to wait for me at the docks with you. I want them to come with me to the general store, and to make sure our wounded get proper attention."

The girl stopped Morris when they were leaving, and kept her hand on his arm to meet his eyes.

"We're not rushing recklessly after him," she said. "We'll wait and see what tidings Laventry brings, and then I'll make a call."

Morris nodded with a warm smile and patted the hand on his arm.

"Sounds like the wisest thing to do. Goodnight, pearl."

"Goodnight. Behave."

"On my one night on land? What am I, a monk?"

"I won't be looking after you as usual. If you're drunk, I'll have Pierre give you his poison to clear your head."

"Sacre Dieu! What kind of friend are you?"

They laughed together and Morris hurried away to catch up with the others.

Back inside, Marina found her mother in the kitchen.

"Another tea, dear?"

"No, thanks, Mother. But I could use some help with my hair." She showed her braid, that fell almost to her waist. "Can you cut it?"

"Of course. Take another lantern to your room, I'll be right there."

"Thanks! Night, Tomasa, Colette."

"Goodnight, Miss," the women said.

Tomasa handed Cecilia the scissors. "You should do it tomorrow, ma'am, with daylight."

"She's leaving tomorrow, Tomasa."

"Oh, well, then."

Cecilia found Marina in the her bedroom, pulling down her nightgown. She made Marina sit with her back to the dresser, where she placed the lamps, and loosened the long braid.

"Are you going to Maracaibo with Laventry?" she asked in a casual tone, as she combed the silky raven hair.

Marina sighed. "I don't know, Mother. Laventry could use my guns and my men. But I'm not sure my patience is enough to bear the snubs of a dozen captains."

"What do you mean?"

Marina told her what Harry had said a moment earlier. "The Governor himself assured me he's renewing my letter of marque for two whole years, instead of one. I amassed a fortune since my uncle died. Men fight to enroll with me. I've never stepped into trouble out of my depth. And I speak like a captain? What do I have to do to make them respect me? Take over Veracruz or sink the Armada all by myself?

Cecilia chuckled under her breath. "You almost learn what it means to be a woman, Marina," she said gently. "If any of them wins a hard victory, everybody will praise their guts and their skill. If you do it, they'll praise your ship and your crew."

Marina snorted, annoyed. Her mother's hand on her hair kept her from shaking her head.

"Don't waste time and energy trying to change them, child. It's in vain."

"Why? Is it so hard, acknowledging that I'm at least as good as any of them?"

"Not hard—impossible. Try to see it through their eyes. For them, women are weak, helpless. So there they go, to earn fame, fortune and a name. To get the other men's respect so they won't be outshined when they seek women out. And to have women wait for them on land, at home or at the brothel, eager to give them pleasure, cares and children in exchange for protection and sustenance."

"That's horrible."

"It's what it is, Marina. But what's left for them if they ever admit that even a single woman doesn't need them to protect and provide for her? What if other women follow? What's their place in the world, if they're no longer needed but to make babies? How short do you want your hair, dear?"

"Here." Marina touched her own back.

Cecilia cut her hair while Marina pondered her mother's words.

"You mean I make them feel... less of a man?"

"Yes, dear. We, women, are how they measure their manliness. How many women want them, how many children they give them. But if a woman does the same they do, and she doesn't seek them out for what they expect to be asked—"

"They fell threatened by me."

"No doubt they do, the weaker and insecure ones. Don't you want it shorter?"

"Sure, but I want my braid up to here." Marina touched her shoulder blade and winked at her. "I don't want them to take me for a boy. Their faces when they realize I'm a woman is priceless."

"Careful, dear. Nobody reacts well when they feel threatened."

"I won't go around wearing dresses to ease their mind, Mother. And I won't suffer any disrespect." Marina sighed again. "Guess that means I'm not going to Maracaibo."

"Maybe it's the best you can do. Those expeditions usually end in a rampancy of excess and violence out of any control."

"I need to find a way to tell Laventry."

"I'm sure you will." Cecilia combed Marina's shorter hair and held a mirror to let her see her back.

Marina nodded, grinning, and stood up. "I miss you so much," she said, hugging her mother once more.

Cecilia held her tight and kissed her cheek. "Me too, my child. Always. Your being here was the best present you could've ever given me."

"Wish you'd come with me."

"On your pirate life?"Cecilia laughed. "No, dear, that's your thing. You keep shocking men from the Phantom's bridge. I do it by teaching the harbor girls to read and write, so their panders can't rob them."