Five

Five

From that experience with the boy, he knew there was something strange going on. Something was happening with the people, but he just couldn't put his finger on it. Samantha says quickly, "I know you're confused right now, but don't worry. For I will always be with you.

Samantha's ability to see into the future and read minds had left her with an amazing gift. Whenever there is an evil entity around, she is able to redirect its path, making it almost impossible to be a threat to her.

Mr. Jingles walked toward the escalator that lead down into the bowels of the subway station. He found himself surrounded by wanna-be thugs, gang bangers, and homeless musicians trying to make a quick dollar. He cautiously stood for a moment, observing his surroundings, then found himself a seat on an unoccupied bench and waited patiently for the next train. Feeling tired, he slipped into a deep sleep. His eyes shifted back and forth beneath closed lids and he began to dream.

Mr. Jingles was standing atop of a huge mountain. Looking down, he saw countless people below who appeared to be stuck in quicksand. They were screaming, their arms visible and flailing as they struggled to escape. The people were looking up at him and screaming, "Please save us!"

Mr. Jingles' body began twitching at the horror of his vision, his hands trembling violently.

Suddenly, the pool of quicksand caught fire and large flames engulfed the sinking victims. One by one, they burst into flames. Feeling helpless to do anything for them, tears rolled down his face. It was agony to watch it happening, but he was powerless to stop it.

Coming awake with a jerk, Mr. Jingles rubbed a rough hand over his face. Getting hold of his senses, he began to really ponder what he had gotten himself into. He drew his thoughts to the present.

"Nevertheless," he heard a voice say over the intercom speaker, "all passengers heading to North Side, please watch your step as you board." He had missed the first part of the announcement.

Shaking off the negative energy, Mr. Jingles boarded the train. Around him, the train was filled with the same young thugs and homeless, as well as women and children. Rather than sit, Mr. Jingles grabbed hold of one of the hanging passenger straps. He figured that after such long wait, combined with the long night he'd had, a little standing might be good for him. The cabin wreaked of stale wine and the worn carpet was stained. What those stains were, he didn't want to think about too deeply.

Mr. Jingles remained quiet as the train began to move. Chatter and small talk echoed in the small compartment. As the train adjusted to its regular speed, he held the strap with a firm grip, keeping careful eye on his surroundings.

A minute later, there was a confrontation taking place in the middle of the train, as two couples bickered back and forth loudly. He tried to tune them out, unwilling to let their harsh words divert his attention. The train speed soon leveled out, causing the cabin–and the passengers–to rock back and forth.

A voice came over the intercom calmly informing everyone about safe subway traveling. "Laws are meant to be followed," the announcement continued, the voice now grave with warning. The intent was to scare the passengers into thinking that the eyes of Big Brother were everywhere, and indeed they were.

As the speakers went silent, the train began to vibrate like never before. A few people started to complain about the rocky ride.

One man shouted, "I've taken this train for years and I ain't never felt nothing like this!" While the other passengers shook their heads in agreement, they all held on tight, and Mr. Jingles did the same. He was trying desperately to keep his cool. Silently calling to Samantha, he said, "Are you there?"

More than a minute passed by before she answered him. "Don't worry."

The windows began to rattle and a baby started wailing. Small advertisement posters suddenly ripped from the cabin walls and chaos filled the train. A woman frantically shouted, "Maybe the driver has lost control! Someone should check and see if he is ok!" The other people agree with her and an older teen holding a skateboard decides to take the challenge.

Concerned, some of the passengers told the kid to be careful. The boy headed toward the front. The train rocked back and forth and he struggled to keep his balance. Then the windows began to crack and panic grew among the passengers. Shouts and screams pierced the air uncontrollably. No one understood what was happening.

Mr. Jingles held firm to his position, looking left and right as people were thrown from their seats. The skateboard kid was barely making his way through the shattering glass and flying debris. When he reached the door of the train leading to the engineer's booth, he banged on the door over and over while holding onto the door handle, trying to stay upright. He repeatedly hammered away at the door, desperately hoping the driver would answer. Then he yelled, "Hey, are you okay in there?"

The train suddenly began to slow and the chaos calmed until all was quiet. The only sound now was scattered luggage, bags, and other belongings settling on the floor. People checked one another for injuries, and there were many–cuts, bumps and bruises. They were all battered and exhausted.

The teen gave up on trying to get an answer from the engineer's booth and turned away, heading back to the main part of the cabin.

Then the door slowly opened.