•14•

Eden awoke and realized she had fallen asleep in the greenhouse

Eden awoke and realized she had fallen asleep in the greenhouse. She rested on a small couch with a blanket draped over her.

The high hanging sun signified that it was around midday.

She arose from the plush couch and sleepily looked around.

"Malcolm?" She croaked out.

The memories from the previous night came crashing down on her.

There was no reply.

"Malcolm?" She called again.

Eden got up and walked along the far edge of the greenhouse. She had never been to this section before.

She noticed there was a large door that was against the wall. It was practically begging her to look inside.

Eden briefly noted that she had done quite a bit of nosing around lately.

When she opened the door she realized it was somewhat of a private office. The room smelled of old books and dust yet looked impeccably tidy. There was a small desk with a simple chair. Papers scattered the surfaces of the room and the bookshelves sagged with books.

She walked around. All the books looked practically ancient.

A picture frame was on the desk. Not a speck of dust rested on the small wooden structure. Eden's curiosity peaked, and she picked it up to see what was in the frame.

Her fingers began to tremble. A rush of cold slowly settled on the surface of her skin.

The picture was of her and Malcolm.

The photograph was black and white and had a distinct vintage look to it. The picture showed the couple at a party of some sort Eden sitting in Malcolm's lap. With her arms around his neck and an absolutely buoyant smile stretched across her face.

They were both dressed up. Her legs were elevated in the air as if she were falling back. The two looking adoringly at eachother.

Her heart began to hammer. She took the picture out of the frame and inspected it under a frantic gaze.

The girl was her. There was no mistaking that. She flipped the photograph over.

"Mal and Rose, 1925"

Eden placed the picture face down onto the table. She couldn't even look at it again.

The door in front of her opened.

"Eden-"

Malcolm's sentence halted mid syllable.

She looked up at him.

"What the hell is going on?" She whispered.

Malcolm's eyes drifted to the picture on the table. Then back up to her.