• Just Write

This is the most important thing I have learned about writing, just write. Don't stop to worry if you have the talent, or if your story is good, just write. Especially when you are first starting out. I'm not saying you shouldn't plan your story, or not try and make it good, but if worrying over those things is preventing you from writing, then forget about them and pick up a pen/computer and get writing!

There is nothing more valuable to improve your writing than to write as much as you can. When I first started out writing at eleven years old, it was horrendous. There wasn't any plot, I didn't use quotation marks, and they literally were walking around in circles. And while I still have so much to learn, it's a comfort to look back on that story and realize how much I have improved. Most likely when you first start writing, it will be full of flaws. And that's okay.

Especially with the first draft I also recommend to not stress over whether it's good or not, just get that story out before it slips away. When you write the second draft you can worry about plot structure, technical stuff and what not.

Once you start writing, you will learn lessons along the way. Time spent worrying over whether it's good or not is time wasted in my opinion. Always be trying to improve, but you will improve just by writing frequently. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think anyone can become a good writer if you are willing to dedicate time to it. Talent is useful, but persistence is indispensable.