Río de Los Temblores

Río de los Temblores

by

David L. Farebrother

U.S. Copyright TXu 1-973-661 © 2015

David L. Farebrother

All rights reserved

Río de los Temblores

The Spanish Explorers

The earthquake struck as the Spanish explorers emerged from a shady oak forest and were entering a sunlit, grassy plain. The horses sensed the rock fracturing far beneath their feet before the men became aware. The horses' ears pricked up and their eyes darted. They tossed their heads about, seeking the source of the unseen menace. Their steps became short and quick as they pranced frantically across the grass. They would have all fled from the impending danger surging up at them, but were unable to decide which path might take them to safety. The mules balked and tugged at their lead ropes, braying loudly. Then the mastiffs began to bark and howl, except for the youngest dog which cowered and whimpered in the grass.

The Indians following behind the horses all stopped suddenly in mid-step. Fray Guillen was walking with the Indians, reciting the rosary in a loud voice. He had hopes that the Indians would begin learning the Latin prayers with the constant repetition. He was on the fifth bead of the third decade when Viejo Mateo, who had been walking in front of him, came to a halt. Fray Guillen, who was concentrating on the beads of his rosary, collided with Viejo Mateo and lost his balance. He fell on his side in the tall grass. Viejo Mateo turned to assist him when the earth heaved beneath his feet, knocking him over as well.

The energy unleashed by the earthquake kicked up rocks and pieces of deadwood as it reached the earth's surface. Dust roiled into the air. Immediately following the initial thud came a loud roar, sounding like a tremendous landslide. The oak trees in the forest which the Spanish explorers had just left behind began to wave about as if a great hurricane was blowing.

Capitán Alvarez, who had experienced earthquakes in Mexico, was able to control his nervous mount. The other soldiers struggled with their horses but managed to stay in their saddles except for Privado Martinez, who had dozed off. His horse leaped sideways when the jolt hit and Privado Martinez wasn't prepared. He fell heavily to the ground, landing on his knees. This startled the horse even more and it began to buck and kick out as the earth moved beneath its feet. The mule tethered to Privado Martinez' mount tried to back away from the kicking horse and broke the lead rope.

Gradually the shaking subsided and the Spaniards coaxed their horses back into marching formation. Martinez jumped to his feet, although his knees were numb from the fall. He rushed to take hold of his horse's bridle and get it under control. The horse stopped bucking. It paced and pawed nervously while Martinez remounted.

As soon as the ground ceased moving, the mule which had been tethered to Martinez' mount turned and ran back toward the oak forest. This mule was the sickest and slowest of the mules and had been given the lightest load, consisting of the capitán's tent, the royal standard and some of the soldiers' bedding. But now the terror-stricken mule had found new energy and was intent on galloping the entire distance to Guaymas and the last safe stall it had known. As it ran, the pack ropes began to loosen. Bed rolls and tent poles fell by the trailside. Capitán Alvarez shouted an order to Martinez, who kicked his horse into a gallop in pursuit of the runaway mule.