Chapter 5

To make up for frightening Dempsey, I bought some juggernog for him.  In return, he bought some double tapp for me.  I finished my drink before him and started working in my journal.  It was a drawing, but I didn't quite know what of until nearing the time I was about done.  A rough sketch of Dempsey.  I blushed lightly when realizing it.

"What're you drawing, cupcake?" Dempsey inquired.  I jumped when hearing him, snapping the book shut and stuffing it into my jacket pocket.

"N-nozhing," I quickly replied.  I looked away to hide my blush.  From the corner of my eye, I could see Dempsey raise a brow before shrugging.  I laid my head on his shoulder with a sigh, cuddling into his side.  His arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer.

I figured Dempsey and I could go back to our room and cuddle on the bed...at least, I hoped.  Nikolai and Takeo had come onto the stage.  Apparently, my Russian friend finally had enough points to use the Pack-A-Punch a second time.  When trying to teleport, the machine spluttered and sparked before giving up.  Nikolai growled and kicked it, making me angry.

"Nikorai, do not kick it," Takeo scolded.  Nikolai threw his arms up in frustration.

"Richtofen, your thingy broke!" he exclaimed.

I sighed in irritation and began working on it once again.  "Zhat's because it's temperamental," I replied with an eye roll.  Dempsey knelt next to me.

"Is there a way to keep it from being temper-whatever?" he inquired.  I shook my head.

"Nein."

All conversation ceased in that moment when the teleporter began sparking dangerously.  My eyes widened as I instructed everyone to get back, but it was too late.  It exploded, sending all four of us crashing into the wall.  Black smoke filled the room.  I coughed harshly while trying to wave the smoke away.

"Ish everyvone okay!?" I yelled.

"Nikolai is fine!" he called back.  Takeo gave a thumbs up as Dempsey rushed to me, gasping and freezing in place.  Everyone followed suit soon after, gawking and gaping as they stared at me.  I growled in irritation, slightly embarrassed by Dempsey's gaze.

"Vould somevone tell mich vhat zhe hell is vrong!?" I snarled.  Dempsey gulped and quickly got a broken mirror piece from the costume closet, handing it to me shakily.  With a raised brow, I took it hesitantly. I gasped and dropped the shard, hearing it shatter to pieces.

"A-are you twelve?" he asked in shock.

"I-Ich don't know," I stuttered, nearly passing out right then.  Dempsey caught me before I could fall.

"Eddie, don't pass out on us!"

To try and stay awake, I looked at what everyone was doing.  Takeo had sat down and began meditating when a booming laugh caught my attention.  That was Nikolai's laugh.  I looked at the drunk and growled lightly.

"Ich could take a kidney!" I threatened.

He laughed even more.  "With your shaking?  Het, you cannot," he goaded.  That's it!  I ripped myself from Dempsey's arms and lunged for Nikolai, pulling a knife in the process.

Fate was not on my side.  Nikolai quickly kicked me in the stomach before grabbing the back of my jacket collar.

"You are weaker than before," he snickered.  I struggled, kicking him between his legs before biting his wrist.  Once he let go, I made a break for the alley outside.

Pacing wasn't helping my situation and I was overthinking everything.  I quickly grabbed some double tapp, taking a large swig.  That was much better, now I could properly think.

"Eddie!  Where are you?" Dempsey called worriedly from inside.  I was so infuriated with Nikolai that I didn't stop long enough to think how Dempsey might feel when I ran off.  He must be worried sick about me.  The feeling of guilt crept into my heart as I frowned, quickly getting up.  I slowly walked back to the stage and saw Dempsey.  He turned when hearing the sloppy clacking of my large boots, running over and nearly tackling me to the ground in an embrace.

"Are you alright?" he asked, frantically checking for any injuries.  I blushed lightly.

"Ich am fine, but mein shtomach hurts from zhe kick," I sighed, stifling a yawn.

"And Nikolai will get a beating for that," he growled and held me tightly, "but you should get to bed now."  I bit my lip and shook my head.

"Ich am not tired!" I whined.  Dempsey gave me a look, telling me not to push it.

"Now."

"Nein!" I yelped and began running from him to the alley.  Dempsey growled in irritation as he quickly followed after me.

"Dammit, Eddie!  Get back here or you're grounded!" he threatened.  I shook my head frantically.

"Nein, nein, nein!  Jou can't do zhat!" I called back, looking for a hiding place.  Sadly, Dempsey caught me, keeping a tight hold on me.

"Edward Richtofen, I swear!  Go to bed now!" he ordered.  I pouted and ran to our room, but refused to fall asleep as I worked in my journal.  I looked up to see Dempsey frowning in worry.  He closed the door behind him, laying on the bed and pulling me into his embrace.

Without much thought, I immediately cuddled into his chest.  Dempsey hummed softly and rubbed my back in an attempt to help me fall asleep.  It was with reluctance that I finally fell asleep, waking only a few hours later to find I was now eight.  My eyes widened.  I quickly crawled on top of Dempsey and shook his shoulders.

"D-Dempshey!  Vake up!" I called and bit my lip as I tried to keep calm calm.  Dempsey shot up, practically sending me to the floor if it hadn't been for the fact that he caught me due to his fast reflexes.

"Eddie, why are you eight now!?"